LA Times editor Stanton is exiting
December 14, 2012
Yet another editor at The Los Angeles Times has had enough of the newsroom layoffs.
Russ Stanton, who has held the top job since 2008, is stepping down, with his final day on Dec. 23. The current managing editor, Davan Maharaj, has been tapped to take his place.
Over the past five years, at the direction of owner Tribune Co., the LA Times has slashed its newsroom staff from 900 to 550.
That included a staff reduction of 250 at the start of Stanton’s tenure, and it earned him a reputation that, warranted or not, he was willing to make cuts that others were not.
The paper’s two previous editors, Dean Baquet and James O’Shea, both left after refusing to carry out Tribune’s demand that they cut more staff.
Eventually the demands wore on Stanton as well. The New York Times reports that he was reluctant to carry out another round of layoffs coming in the new year, just after Tribune Co. is expected to emerge from bankruptcy.
Stanton’s replacement, Maharaj, has been at The Times for 22 years and holds a law degree from Yale. A native of Trinidad, he is the paper’s 15th editor.
Tags: current, davan maharaj, Dean Baquet, la times, la times editor, la times layoffs, layoffs, layoffs la times, los angeles times, newspaper layoffs, newspapers, newsroom, russ stanton, the job, the newsroom, tribune co.
Fox’s summer play: Keeping it real
Sponsors give FIFA a yellow card
‘Unreal,’ aptly titled and quite true
Rachel, what’s your best career advice?
Tell us, how do you rate the fall lineups?
Weekend TV: NHL playoffs heat up
Three-year high for NBA on ESPN
Hulu drops the Duggar family
Judge: Yahoo class action can proceed
New ‘Daily Show’ host will bow this fall
Fox wins night as ‘MasterChef’ rebounds
This season’s broadcast superlatives
NBC’s summer play: Mixing it up
- Sherri Goldstein becomes director of integrated strategy at Moonrocks
- Anand Kini becomes CFO at NBCUniversal
- John Verre rises to VP of automotive sales at Cablevision
- Tom Callahan becomes CFO at Reader's Digest Association
- Nicole Flatow becomes enterprise editor at Guardian U.S.
- Chris Connelly becomes interim editor in chief at Grantland
- Sean Lindsay rises to chief technology officer at Tapjoy
- Neil Janowitz becomes editorial director at Vulture.com
- John McCauley becomes VP of content and strategy at OneUp Sports
- Randy Jackson signs production deal with Endemol Shine North America
- Former head of King World Michael King dies at age 66
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Display media planner opening in Chicago
Media planner/buyer opening in Omaha
Assistant media planner wanted in Atlanta
Media buyer wanted in Pittsburgh