LA Times editor Stanton is exiting
December 14, 2012
Yet another editor at The Los Angeles Times has had enough of the newsroom layoffs.
Russ Stanton, who has held the top job since 2008, is stepping down, with his final day on Dec. 23. The current managing editor, Davan Maharaj, has been tapped to take his place.
Over the past five years, at the direction of owner Tribune Co., the LA Times has slashed its newsroom staff from 900 to 550.
That included a staff reduction of 250 at the start of Stanton’s tenure, and it earned him a reputation that, warranted or not, he was willing to make cuts that others were not.
The paper’s two previous editors, Dean Baquet and James O’Shea, both left after refusing to carry out Tribune’s demand that they cut more staff.
Eventually the demands wore on Stanton as well. The New York Times reports that he was reluctant to carry out another round of layoffs coming in the new year, just after Tribune Co. is expected to emerge from bankruptcy.
Stanton’s replacement, Maharaj, has been at The Times for 22 years and holds a law degree from Yale. A native of Trinidad, he is the paper’s 15th editor.
Tags: current, davan maharaj, Dean Baquet, la times, la times editor, la times layoffs, layoffs, layoffs la times, los angeles times, newspaper layoffs, newspapers, newsroom, russ stanton, the job, the newsroom, tribune co.
‘Idol’ fuels Fox past CBS on Thursday
Readers: Expect a record Super Bowl, again
Our rising national obsession with sports
The high cost of ads for the Super Bowl ads
How football stacks up among Hispanics
Rachel, need I go back to school for media?
Weekend TV: The Super Bowl edition
Cable overnights: Another Warriors victory
So-so turnout for ‘Madoff’ miniseries
Sumner Redstone steps down at Viacom, too
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Denver: Bonkers for Broncs’ big game
What’s hot and not for Super Bowl ads
- Ed Castillo becomes global chief strategy officer at Arnold
- Juan Cruz Vassallo becomes associate creative director at the community
- Robert Cappuccino becomes VP of national sales at Foundations Marketing
- Simon White becomes chief strategy officer at FCB West
- Lynn Eastep becomes president at Fathom
- James Bennet becomes president at ASME
- Andrew Edwards becomes director of digital intelligence at Cardinal Path
- Marc Ferrentino becomes EVP of strategy at Yext
- Matt LeBlanc becomes co-host on BBC's 'Top Gear'
- Isabella Rossellini joins the cast of Hulu's 'Shut Eye'
- Seal joins the cast of Fox’s ‘The Passion’
- Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza and Jean Smart join FX’s ‘Legion’
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager