LA Times editor Stanton is exiting
December 14, 2012
Yet another editor at The Los Angeles Times has had enough of the newsroom layoffs.
Russ Stanton, who has held the top job since 2008, is stepping down, with his final day on Dec. 23. The current managing editor, Davan Maharaj, has been tapped to take his place.
Over the past five years, at the direction of owner Tribune Co., the LA Times has slashed its newsroom staff from 900 to 550.
That included a staff reduction of 250 at the start of Stanton’s tenure, and it earned him a reputation that, warranted or not, he was willing to make cuts that others were not.
The paper’s two previous editors, Dean Baquet and James O’Shea, both left after refusing to carry out Tribune’s demand that they cut more staff.
Eventually the demands wore on Stanton as well. The New York Times reports that he was reluctant to carry out another round of layoffs coming in the new year, just after Tribune Co. is expected to emerge from bankruptcy.
Stanton’s replacement, Maharaj, has been at The Times for 22 years and holds a law degree from Yale. A native of Trinidad, he is the paper’s 15th editor.
Tags: current, davan maharaj, Dean Baquet, la times, la times editor, la times layoffs, layoffs, layoffs la times, los angeles times, newspaper layoffs, newspapers, newsroom, russ stanton, the job, the newsroom, tribune co.
‘Carmichael Show’ grows in week two
The internet of things, commercialized
A stark outlook for Canadian media
Save this: Fall’s TV premiere dates
‘Pickle and Peanut,’ better than most
Catch the next big wave: Hispanic media
Weekend TV: College football kickoff
Study: Hostile couch potatoes at risk of injury
The scoop on Millennials’ viewing habits
Big surge for ‘Señor de los Cielos’
New from Hulu, commercial-free viewing
Rebekah Brooks back at News Corp. Really.
NFL pushes further into streaming
- Kerri Clark rises to VP at Turner Content Distribution
- Amol Jadhav becomes VP of global expansion at The Weather Co.
- Michelle Harper rises to VP of sales at Cox Media Group
- Tom Betts rises to chief data officer at The Financial Times
- Julie Shapiro becomes executive producer at PRX's Radiotopia
- David Hill and Reginald Hudlin producing ABC's Oscars telecast
- Alex Kingston appearing in BBC America's 'Doctor Who' Christmas special
- Eric Stoltz guesting on CBS's 'Madam Secretary'
- Ross Partridge joins the cast of Netflix's 'Stranger Things'
- Sarah Carter joins CBS's 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Ronny Chieng, Desi Lydic and Roy Wood Jr. join ‘The Daily Show’
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois