LA Times editor Stanton is exiting
December 14, 2012
Yet another editor at The Los Angeles Times has had enough of the newsroom layoffs.
Russ Stanton, who has held the top job since 2008, is stepping down, with his final day on Dec. 23. The current managing editor, Davan Maharaj, has been tapped to take his place.
Over the past five years, at the direction of owner Tribune Co., the LA Times has slashed its newsroom staff from 900 to 550.
That included a staff reduction of 250 at the start of Stanton’s tenure, and it earned him a reputation that, warranted or not, he was willing to make cuts that others were not.
The paper’s two previous editors, Dean Baquet and James O’Shea, both left after refusing to carry out Tribune’s demand that they cut more staff.
Eventually the demands wore on Stanton as well. The New York Times reports that he was reluctant to carry out another round of layoffs coming in the new year, just after Tribune Co. is expected to emerge from bankruptcy.
Stanton’s replacement, Maharaj, has been at The Times for 22 years and holds a law degree from Yale. A native of Trinidad, he is the paper’s 15th editor.
Tags: current, davan maharaj, Dean Baquet, la times, la times editor, la times layoffs, layoffs, layoffs la times, los angeles times, newspaper layoffs, newspapers, newsroom, russ stanton, the job, the newsroom, tribune co.
A much better midseason for Fox
For Bill O’Reilly, steady through it all
Real identity of naked Buckingham guy
‘Dig,’ off we go to Armageddon, again
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
When is a spinoff one too many?
Media people to Nielsen: Some changes, please
Spike upfront: We’re gender-neutral now
Cable overnights: ‘Saul’ slides again
The word: Shakeup coming at NBC News
Tweet Yo Self: ‘Parks’ finale scores on Twitter
A decline for Fox’s ‘The Following’
This week’s cable ratings
- Zenaida Torres becomes group account director at Lowe Campbell Ewald
- Christine Perez-O'Rourke becomes PR manager at Big Spaceship
- Andrew Clurman rises to CEO at Active Interest Media
- Chris Rantamaki becomes SVP of production at Discovery
- Stephen Colvin becomes president and COO at Robb Report Digital
- Lucy Gilmour rises to photo director at The Wall Street Journal
- Josh London becomes CMO at IDG Communications
- Bill Gedwill becomes VP of business development at Kvantum
- Jeff Zeleny becomes senior Washington correspondent at CNN
- Dermot Mulroney joins Hallmark's 'Northpole: Open For Christmas'
- Jillian Michaels starring in Spike TV's 'Sweat Inc.'
- Hemmings Motor News founder Ernie Hemmings dies at 88
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager