J.C. Penney earns most engaging Oscars ad
March 5, 2014
And the award for most engaging ad during the Oscars goes to … J.C. Penney.
That’s according to TiVo Research, which analyzed 350,000 anonymous households using its DVR system during the Academy Awards ceremony.
The company determined the most engaging ads by measuring the percentage of the audience watching at the “play” speed and looking for commercials with the largest viewership relative to the surrounding 15 minutes of programming.
The winner was J.C. Penney’s “When it fits you feel it ad,” which likely has more to do with the placement of the ad than its content. The ad ran at 11:40 p.m. as the big award for Best Picture was about to be given.
Coming in at No. 2 was Pepsi’s “mini can” ad that aired at 10:49 p.m., followed by two others that ran right around the same time as the J.C. Penney ad, one for McDonald’s and one for Samsung.
The other brands to make the top 10 were Chobani, American Express, Lipton Tea and Google Play. Samsung and AmEx each had two ads in the top 10.
Though down, ‘This Is Us’ reigns again on Tuesday
Obama farewell address tops the week in social TV
The scoop on Megyn Kelly’s new gig with NBC
Putting a firm number on how many are cord cutting
New doubts about Pandora as big layoffs loom
Here’s a first: Local ads in Super Bowl stream
Coming at you: Media Life’s digital radio series
The rescue of Univision: Chance to get back its mojo
For History, deploying a drama about tough guys
Tell us: What will be the big media stories of 2017?
Infographic: A look at Australians’ changing radio habits
Landlines are totally passé: Less than half have ’em
For the NYT, a future of more multimedia and more Trump
- Mike Long, Arlene Bae and Sara Wallace join FCB West
- Marco Bailetti and Shawn DosSantos join GALE
- Danielle Pak becomes director of communications planning at Zambezi
- Max Kislevitz becomes brand director at Battery
- Laura Roberts becomes VP of business development at SGK
- Isaac Lee becomes chief content officer at Univision and Televisa
- Lee Zellweger rises to publisher at Reader's Digest
- Lester Holt hosting ASME's annual Ellie Awards
- Cyrus Farrokh becomes international president at Propagate
- Bill O'Reilly interviewing Donald Trump on Super Sunday
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: November 2016
This week’s daypart ratings
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York
Freelance media buyer available