J.C. Penney earns most engaging Oscars ad
March 5, 2014
And the award for most engaging ad during the Oscars goes to … J.C. Penney.
That’s according to TiVo Research, which analyzed 350,000 anonymous households using its DVR system during the Academy Awards ceremony.
The company determined the most engaging ads by measuring the percentage of the audience watching at the “play” speed and looking for commercials with the largest viewership relative to the surrounding 15 minutes of programming.
The winner was J.C. Penney’s “When it fits you feel it ad,” which likely has more to do with the placement of the ad than its content. The ad ran at 11:40 p.m. as the big award for Best Picture was about to be given.
Coming in at No. 2 was Pepsi’s “mini can” ad that aired at 10:49 p.m., followed by two others that ran right around the same time as the J.C. Penney ad, one for McDonald’s and one for Samsung.
The other brands to make the top 10 were Chobani, American Express, Lipton Tea and Google Play. Samsung and AmEx each had two ads in the top 10.
TLC yanks ’19 Kids and Counting’
‘Late Show’ finale hits 21-year high
‘Modern Family’ falls to low in finale
Once again, ABC wins May sweep
This fall’s five big timeslot battles
Oh my! There goes Marilyn’s skirt.
‘Late Show With David Letterman,’ bravo
Tell us, how do you rate the fall lineups?
Weekend TV: Indy 500 revs up
Cable overnights: NBA stays hot
Fun facts about the Indy 500
Buyouts coming at Wall Street Journal
A record season for Telemundo
- Twelve join California agency David&Goliath
- Ellie Duque becomes publisher at Entertainment Weekly
- CBS Entertainment EVP of comedy Wendi Trilling exiting
- New York Times chief information officer Marc Frons exiting
- Marjorie Miller rises to director of global news at the Associated Press
- Melissa Bell rises to VP of growth and analytics at Vox Media
- Josh Swade becomes executive producer for film and video at Rolling Stone
- Jessica Lussenhop becomes senior writer at BBC News Magazine
- Emily Banks becomes deputy mobile editor at Bloomberg Digital
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Display media planner opening in Chicago
Media planner/buyer opening in Omaha
Assistant media planner wanted in Atlanta
Media buyer wanted in Pittsburgh