J.C. Penney earns most engaging Oscars ad
March 5, 2014
And the award for most engaging ad during the Oscars goes to … J.C. Penney.
That’s according to TiVo Research, which analyzed 350,000 anonymous households using its DVR system during the Academy Awards ceremony.
The company determined the most engaging ads by measuring the percentage of the audience watching at the “play” speed and looking for commercials with the largest viewership relative to the surrounding 15 minutes of programming.
The winner was J.C. Penney’s “When it fits you feel it ad,” which likely has more to do with the placement of the ad than its content. The ad ran at 11:40 p.m. as the big award for Best Picture was about to be given.
Coming in at No. 2 was Pepsi’s “mini can” ad that aired at 10:49 p.m., followed by two others that ran right around the same time as the J.C. Penney ad, one for McDonald’s and one for Samsung.
The other brands to make the top 10 were Chobani, American Express, Lipton Tea and Google Play. Samsung and AmEx each had two ads in the top 10.
Merely an okay audience for Trump’s big speech
NBC sweeps Republican convention coverage
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Roger Ailes resigns, and Rupert Murdoch steps in
Readers: Fox News will be fine without Ailes
Finding the right Spanish-English media balance
On the way, a new way to measure radio
Rachel, I just can’t get anywhere here
Weekend TV: AMC wraps ‘Hell on Wheels’
Cable overnights: ‘Mr. Robot’ slips in second week
How Nielsen is beefing up its ad viewability options
NBC tops Fox and CBS combined on Wednesday
British Open scores for new carrier NBC
- Jeff Davidoff becomes president at Walton Isaacson
- Renato Fernandez and Doug Menezes rise at TBWA
- Isaac Mizrahi becomes chair-elect at AHAA
- John Solaro and Roger Tsai join Disney|ABC Television Group
- Sarah Geismer becomes VP of comedy at 20th Century Fox TV
- Diego Rodriguez becomes chief security officer at Univision
- Chris Mancivalano becomes associate marketing director at People en Español
- Meghan Bentley becomes VP of business development at Tapad
- Damian Hurley joins the cast of E!'s 'The Royals'
- Malik Yoba joins ABC's 'Designated Survivor'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: May 2016
This month’s new media traffic data
Needed: Print media buyer in Chicago
Digital media buyer wanted in El Segundo
Media buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media planner wanted in Salt Lake City
Direct mail media planner job in Minneapolis