J.C. Penney earns most engaging Oscars ad
March 5, 2014
And the award for most engaging ad during the Oscars goes to … J.C. Penney.
That’s according to TiVo Research, which analyzed 350,000 anonymous households using its DVR system during the Academy Awards ceremony.
The company determined the most engaging ads by measuring the percentage of the audience watching at the “play” speed and looking for commercials with the largest viewership relative to the surrounding 15 minutes of programming.
The winner was J.C. Penney’s “When it fits you feel it ad,” which likely has more to do with the placement of the ad than its content. The ad ran at 11:40 p.m. as the big award for Best Picture was about to be given.
Coming in at No. 2 was Pepsi’s “mini can” ad that aired at 10:49 p.m., followed by two others that ran right around the same time as the J.C. Penney ad, one for McDonald’s and one for Samsung.
The other brands to make the top 10 were Chobani, American Express, Lipton Tea and Google Play. Samsung and AmEx each had two ads in the top 10.
The year that was: 2014 by the numbers
As other spending slows, digital surges
‘Galavant,’ ambitious but disappointing
As the year ends, Rachel reminisces
What will be the big media stories of 2015?
Best tube bets this weekend
Cable overnights: ‘Colbert Report’ surges
Networks: Hey, don’t let Aereo do that
Order from Amazon, get it in an hour
Survey: People trust the internet, for now
Vme TV airing Christmas marathon
‘Survivor’ paces CBS to a Wednesday win
Where people watch online video: PCs
- Justine Bloome becomes head of strategy at Carat USA
- Carol Duncan becomes SVP and CFO at Barker
- Bill Robinson becomes VP of partnership development at Home Team Sports
- Sharon Dastur becomes SVP of programming integration at iHeartMedia
- Tasneem Raja becomes senior digital editor at NPR
- Mike Wilson becomes editor at The Dallas Morning News
- Ian Bremmer becomes foreign affairs columnist at Time
- Dan Berman and Sacha Scoblic join National Journal
- Cosme Lopez rises to SVP and GM of pay-TV at Cisneros Media
- John Lambertus becomes VP of revenue operations at Vdopia
- Former CBS News executive Emerson Stone dies at 86
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer opening in Memphis
Media planner/buyer wanted in Boston
Needed: Digital media coordinator in Roswell, Ga.
Media buyer/digital strategist job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Broadcast media buyer wanted in Denver