J.C. Penney earns most engaging Oscars ad
March 5, 2014
And the award for most engaging ad during the Oscars goes to … J.C. Penney.
That’s according to TiVo Research, which analyzed 350,000 anonymous households using its DVR system during the Academy Awards ceremony.
The company determined the most engaging ads by measuring the percentage of the audience watching at the “play” speed and looking for commercials with the largest viewership relative to the surrounding 15 minutes of programming.
The winner was J.C. Penney’s “When it fits you feel it ad,” which likely has more to do with the placement of the ad than its content. The ad ran at 11:40 p.m. as the big award for Best Picture was about to be given.
Coming in at No. 2 was Pepsi’s “mini can” ad that aired at 10:49 p.m., followed by two others that ran right around the same time as the J.C. Penney ad, one for McDonald’s and one for Samsung.
The other brands to make the top 10 were Chobani, American Express, Lipton Tea and Google Play. Samsung and AmEx each had two ads in the top 10.
NBC’s ‘Voice’ dominates another Tuesday night
NBC wins premiere week, yet again
A promising postseason for MLB
Here it is, big talk on Advertising Week
‘Bad Judge,’ just all around way bad
So, what’s the future for celebrity magazines?
On ‘Minds,’ new face for an aging show
FCC spikes the NFL blackout rule
Cable overnights: ‘MNF’ grows in 18-49s
FX and FXX pick up new comedies
A record gain in L+3 for ABC’s ‘Murder’
New dramas hold up on Monday night
ABC’s ‘Scandal’ premiere sizzles on Twitter
- Robert Hannan and Mark Mylan rise at Carat USA
- Frances Berwick rises to president of lifestyle networks at NBCU
- Ben Price and Simon Robinson rise at Discovery Communications
- Mari Ghuneim and Daniel Manu join truTV
- Eddie Dalva rises to EVP of content at Viacom Entertainment
- Bennett Fogel rises to EVP and CRO at NCM Media Networks
- Justin Schaflander and Jason Mosher rise at iHeartMedia
- Scott Brady becomes VP of sales and analytics at StartApp
- Bruce Robertson rises to EVP at ITV Studios America
- Kris Van Cleave becomes a correspondent at CBS Newspath
- Claudio 'El Emperador' Suarez becomes an analyst at Fox Deportes
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer job in Los Angeles
Media assistant position in Boise, Idaho
Online media buyer position in San Francisco
Senior media planner/buyer job in Des Moines
Needed: Inside multimedia sales rep in Mass.