J.C. Penney earns most engaging Oscars ad
March 5, 2014
And the award for most engaging ad during the Oscars goes to … J.C. Penney.
That’s according to TiVo Research, which analyzed 350,000 anonymous households using its DVR system during the Academy Awards ceremony.
The company determined the most engaging ads by measuring the percentage of the audience watching at the “play” speed and looking for commercials with the largest viewership relative to the surrounding 15 minutes of programming.
The winner was J.C. Penney’s “When it fits you feel it ad,” which likely has more to do with the placement of the ad than its content. The ad ran at 11:40 p.m. as the big award for Best Picture was about to be given.
Coming in at No. 2 was Pepsi’s “mini can” ad that aired at 10:49 p.m., followed by two others that ran right around the same time as the J.C. Penney ad, one for McDonald’s and one for Samsung.
The other brands to make the top 10 were Chobani, American Express, Lipton Tea and Google Play. Samsung and AmEx each had two ads in the top 10.
A good beginning for ‘The Mysteries of Laura’
For Fox, some rougher times ahead
Jon Swallen on changes in the media economy
Welcome to Central Perk, 20 years later
‘Tim & Eric’s Bedtime Stories,’ sip a few
Tell us, which new fall TV shows will survive?
For buff dating, some boffo ratings
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ stays No. 1
Study: TV still dominates video time
There she is (on Twitter), Miss America
Networks to media: DVRs are really, really important
Big jump for penultimate ‘America’s Got Talent’
A bit of advertiser backlash for the NFL
- Guy Vidra becomes CEO at The New Republic
- Tim O’Connor becomes corporate sales managing director at Meredith
- Molly Battles becomes men's group PR manager at Bonnier
- Caleb Weinstein becomes EVP of affiliate distribution at Fox International
- Donny Hudson becomes EVP of sales at America CV
- Jodi Lipe becomes SVP of marketing at Ovation
- Ari Osur becomes VP of product marketing at Simulmedia
- Patrick Jager becomes EVP and CEO at Everwise/Banner Media
- Bill Hader hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Mark Feuerstein joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Gloria Steinem guesting on CBS's 'The Good Wife'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Needed ASAP: Media buyer in Fort Worth
Job for media buyer/planner with DC PR agency
Programmatic media buyer job in York, Pennsylvania
Media buyer opening in Las Vegas
Immediate opening for a media buyer/planner