J.C. Penney earns most engaging Oscars ad
March 5, 2014
And the award for most engaging ad during the Oscars goes to … J.C. Penney.
That’s according to TiVo Research, which analyzed 350,000 anonymous households using its DVR system during the Academy Awards ceremony.
The company determined the most engaging ads by measuring the percentage of the audience watching at the “play” speed and looking for commercials with the largest viewership relative to the surrounding 15 minutes of programming.
The winner was J.C. Penney’s “When it fits you feel it ad,” which likely has more to do with the placement of the ad than its content. The ad ran at 11:40 p.m. as the big award for Best Picture was about to be given.
Coming in at No. 2 was Pepsi’s “mini can” ad that aired at 10:49 p.m., followed by two others that ran right around the same time as the J.C. Penney ad, one for McDonald’s and one for Samsung.
The other brands to make the top 10 were Chobani, American Express, Lipton Tea and Google Play. Samsung and AmEx each had two ads in the top 10.
Cable overnights: Kentucky win lifts ESPN
The scoop on HBO’s over the top service
Instagram adds clickable links to ads
Fuse upfront: Moving beyond music
The hottest social network: Instagram
Study: Who got the most face time during Oscars
Big surge for NBC’s ‘The Voice’
A much better midseason for Fox
For Bill O’Reilly, steady through it all
Real identity of naked Buckingham guy
‘Dig,’ off we go to Armageddon, again
When is a spinoff one too many?
Media buyers to Nielsen: Changes, please
- Katherine Nelson becomes SVP of communications at Syfy
- Pam Thompson becomes executive account director at Food Network Magazine
- Charo Henriquez becomes executive editor at PeopleEnEspanol.com
- Michael D. Gottlieb joins National Journal's Policy Brands Roundtable
- Will Brantley becomes hunting editor at Field & Stream
- Liza Landsman becomes chief customer officer at Jet.com
- Seven rise at digital advertising company Sizmek
- Jason Baadsgaard becomes chief revenue officer at Eyeview
- Michael Hirst signs development deal at A+E Studios
- Four join CBS/TNT's NCAA Tournament coverage
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager