J.C. Penney earns most engaging Oscars ad
March 5, 2014
And the award for most engaging ad during the Oscars goes to … J.C. Penney.
That’s according to TiVo Research, which analyzed 350,000 anonymous households using its DVR system during the Academy Awards ceremony.
The company determined the most engaging ads by measuring the percentage of the audience watching at the “play” speed and looking for commercials with the largest viewership relative to the surrounding 15 minutes of programming.
The winner was J.C. Penney’s “When it fits you feel it ad,” which likely has more to do with the placement of the ad than its content. The ad ran at 11:40 p.m. as the big award for Best Picture was about to be given.
Coming in at No. 2 was Pepsi’s “mini can” ad that aired at 10:49 p.m., followed by two others that ran right around the same time as the J.C. Penney ad, one for McDonald’s and one for Samsung.
The other brands to make the top 10 were Chobani, American Express, Lipton Tea and Google Play. Samsung and AmEx each had two ads in the top 10.
Game 7 smacks a home run for Fox
A buyer’s primer on out of home measurement
‘Olive Kitteridge,’ fine tale brilliantly told
Rachel, talk to me about networking
The new frontier: Digital out of home
Best tube bets this weekend
So, who will win the November sweeps?
The complete TV schedule for election night
‘Sleepy Hollow’ scares up some buzz with Lyft
NBC Universal renews Meredith Vieira’s show
Native advertising gives NY Times a lift
NBC keeps on riding the Breeder’s Cup
‘Black-ish’ grows against World Series Game 7
- Jessie McGuire becomes U.S. strategy director at Elmwood
- Greg McAlinden becomes creative director at ODD
- Nick Ascheim rises and Shaun Hekking joins at BBC Worldwide
- Jonathan Hills becomes VP of digital media at Bravo Media
- Debbie Reichig becomes SVP of sales research at Twentieth TV
- Isaac Payam Ahdout becomes SVP of engineering at Tapad
- Fred Melamed joins Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Lily Rabe appearing on FX's 'American Horror Story'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' cast guesting on TBS's 'Conan'
- Joel McHale remaining host of E!’s ‘The Soup’
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer wanted in Las Vegas
Junior media buyer opening in Venice, California
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin