It’s a print ad. Err, no, it’s an iPad ad.
October 11, 2012
Print advertising has suffered with the rise of new media such as tablets, but here's a case where a tablet actually enhances a print ad.
In the latest issue of Sports Illustrated, an ad for automaker Lexus’ new 2013 ES model at first glance looks like nothing more than a standard full-page magazine ad, complete with an image of the car.
The tagline on the ad reads "A stunning feat," and it is indeed. The ad is taken to another level with the help of an iPad.
Readers with an iPad can go to Lexus.com/stunning to load a video. Then they place the tablet underneath the print ad and press play on the video, bringing the print ad to "life."
The lights and motion from the video on the iPad underneath the page create an illusion on the static ad. The sun in the sky rises and sets, the car's lights begin flickering, and the ground underneath the car "moves" to make it look as if the printed car is in motion.
A music soundtrack synced with the motion of the advertisement adds extra depth to the gimmick.
Lexus calls the technology CinePrint. Its purpose is to employ new technology in an effort to illustrate the high-tech potential of the car.
For a video example of the ad in motion click here.
ABC and Fox tie for first on Thursday
The coming political boom for radio
How papers are reaching out to Millennials
Local Super Bowl advertising at a glance
Rachel, my boss doesn’t know when day’s done
So, what are your thoughts on Donald Trump now?
Weekend TV: The zombies are back
Newsweek tears down its paywall
Maybe it’s not quite time for the smartwatch
Cable overnights: Less excitement for Cavs-Lakers
A tight Wednesday night for broadcast
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Our most endangered medium: Direct mail
- Philippe Krakowsky rises to chairman at IPG Mediabrands
- Rodrigo Grau becomes CCO at JWT Latin America
- Charles Thornton becomes VP of digital at the Automotive Ad Agency
- Todd Eisner becomes creative director at barrettSF
- Sarah Katt becomes VP of product development at AccuWeather
- David Pescovitz becomes editor at large at WebbyAwards.com
- Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join BBC America's 'Top Gear'
- Lee Majors joins Starz' 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'
- Kyle Schmid joins History military drama 'Six'
- Shawn Ashmore joins ABC drama pilot 'Conviction'
- Scott Wilson joins Netflix's 'The OA'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager