It’s a print ad. Err, no, it’s an iPad ad.
October 11, 2012
Print advertising has suffered with the rise of new media such as tablets, but here's a case where a tablet actually enhances a print ad.
In the latest issue of Sports Illustrated, an ad for automaker Lexus’ new 2013 ES model at first glance looks like nothing more than a standard full-page magazine ad, complete with an image of the car.
The tagline on the ad reads "A stunning feat," and it is indeed. The ad is taken to another level with the help of an iPad.
Readers with an iPad can go to Lexus.com/stunning to load a video. Then they place the tablet underneath the print ad and press play on the video, bringing the print ad to "life."
The lights and motion from the video on the iPad underneath the page create an illusion on the static ad. The sun in the sky rises and sets, the car's lights begin flickering, and the ground underneath the car "moves" to make it look as if the printed car is in motion.
A music soundtrack synced with the motion of the advertisement adds extra depth to the gimmick.
Lexus calls the technology CinePrint. Its purpose is to employ new technology in an effort to illustrate the high-tech potential of the car.
For a video example of the ad in motion click here.
NBC’s ‘Sound of Music’ hits a high note
Whoa: No. 1 show in 18-34s is on cable
Twitter takes a shot at retargeting
Media scrambles to cover Mandela’s death
Rethinking media’s compensation model
Want higher ratings? Program holiday music.
‘Bonnie & Clyde,’ shoot-em-up lovers
Rachel, I try so hard. It’s never enough.
‘Modern Family’ gains in syndication
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
Netflix scores another awards first
Best tube bets this weekend
NBC Christmas special soars to seven-year high
- Deirdre Finnegan becomes publisher at EatingWell magazine
- Sam Rosen becomes VP of marketing at The Atlantic
- Eric Schurenberg rises to president at Inc. Magazine
- Nicoletta Santoro becomes creative director at Town&Country
- Claudia Foghini rises to SVP of production strategy at Telemundo
- Leslie Scott rises to digital program director at Entercom
- Todd Porch becomes VP and GM at Comcast Wholesale AdDelivery
- Todd Taplin becomes EVP of global sales at Celtra
- Four join branding firm The Sound Research
- Rick Allen becomes lead race announcer at NBC Sports
- 'Early Start' anchor Zoraida Sambolin exiting CNN
- Ana Jurka becomes on-air personality at Deportes Telemundo
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan
Media operations coordinator job in New York
Media planner opening in Brooklyn
Media planner/buyer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Media buyer position in Hartford, Conn.