It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a dragon in the NYT.
February 28, 2013
At first glance, it looked as though someone had spilled some coffee on The New York Times.
A second glance revealed that the stain wasn’t really a stain at all, more like a shadow. In fact, the shadow looked like a dragon.
That’s exactly what it was, seemingly flying across the pages of the Arts section on Monday, a clever advertisement for the upcoming season of “Game of Thrones.”
The ad ran over top of some dummy copy, not real NYT stories. It was simply the shape of a dragon, wings flung out in flight. It was mean to indicate that the dragon was flying overhead and casting its shadow on your paper.
On the bottom right was the ad copy, advertising the return of “Thrones” on March 31 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
The ad got all sorts of play online, where it was commented on in social media and spurred stories by several media-focused news organizations.
Wack job: A Donald Trump rantalogue
Upfront update: CBS nears finish line
NBC to Donald Trump: You’re fired
Peek into Jerry Seinfield’s apartment
‘Zoo,’ best when the claws are out
So tell us, how are upfront negotiations going?
Soccer showdown: U.S. vs. Germany
Readers get it wrong on Trump and NBC
PETA boos use of animals on ‘Zoo’
CW’s ‘iZombie’ shows life with DVR viewing
Counting up HBO Now’s subscribers
‘Family Feud’ falls but still tops the night
Upfront update: The CW is done
- Karen Mahabir becomes managing editor for news at Huffington Post
- Rand Getlin and James Palmer join NFL Media
- Jim Hopson becomes interim publisher at The Columbus Dispatch
- Faith Stafford becomes senior associate art director at Entertainment Weekly
- Ahiza Garcia becomes breaking news reporter at CNNMoney
- Damian Ghigliotty rises to finance editor at Commercial Observer
- Adam Tuttle becomes managing director of media at SPYR
- Former 'Saved by the Bell' actor Dustin Diamond sentenced to prison
- Billy Magnussen joins FX drama pilot 'Snowfall'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta
Media planner position in Minneapolis
Media buyer position in Sacramento