It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a dragon in the NYT.
February 28, 2013
At first glance, it looked as though someone had spilled some coffee on The New York Times.
A second glance revealed that the stain wasn’t really a stain at all, more like a shadow. In fact, the shadow looked like a dragon.
That’s exactly what it was, seemingly flying across the pages of the Arts section on Monday, a clever advertisement for the upcoming season of “Game of Thrones.”
The ad ran over top of some dummy copy, not real NYT stories. It was simply the shape of a dragon, wings flung out in flight. It was mean to indicate that the dragon was flying overhead and casting its shadow on your paper.
On the bottom right was the ad copy, advertising the return of “Thrones” on March 31 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
The ad got all sorts of play online, where it was commented on in social media and spurred stories by several media-focused news organizations.
Time to winnow the bubble shows
How one agency deals with viewability
Ratings arise for Easter programming
‘American Odyssey,’ lost in the dark
So, what’s your outlook for this year’s upfront?
On April Fools’, celebrating the foolers
Cable overnights: Big turnout for Bieber roast
CBS leads Daytime Emmy Awards noms
Discovery upfront: Big bump in originals
ABC rises Monday as other networks fall
Twitter gets busy with two awards shows
Indianapolis Star’s front-page editorial: ‘Fix this now’
‘The Daily Show’ finds its new host
- Mike Geiger becomes chief digital officer at David&Goliath
- Eric Segal and Gareth Goodall rise to managing partners at Anomaly
- Rafael Rizuto and Eduardo Marques become ECDs at 180LA
- Damien Marchi becomes global head of content at Havas Media
- Kevin Garrity becomes CEO at Gen Media Partners
- Nick Gilhool becomes VP of casting at Discovery Channel
- Alex Treadway becomes VP of leadership sales at The Washington Post
- Paula Goldstein Di Principe becomes fashion director at Refinery29
- Andrew Dumont becomes VP of marketing at Bitly
- Coleman Insights VP Chris Ackerman retires
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Out-of-home specialist available for all markets
Media planner/buyer job in Raleigh
Temp media buyer wanted in Hollywood
Media planner/buyer position in Columbia, SC
Media planner/buyer job in Summit, NJ