It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a dragon in the NYT.
February 28, 2013
At first glance, it looked as though someone had spilled some coffee on The New York Times.
A second glance revealed that the stain wasn’t really a stain at all, more like a shadow. In fact, the shadow looked like a dragon.
That’s exactly what it was, seemingly flying across the pages of the Arts section on Monday, a clever advertisement for the upcoming season of “Game of Thrones.”
The ad ran over top of some dummy copy, not real NYT stories. It was simply the shape of a dragon, wings flung out in flight. It was mean to indicate that the dragon was flying overhead and casting its shadow on your paper.
On the bottom right was the ad copy, advertising the return of “Thrones” on March 31 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
The ad got all sorts of play online, where it was commented on in social media and spurred stories by several media-focused news organizations.
NBC’s ‘Sound of Music’ hits a high note
Whoa: No. 1 show in 18-34s is on cable
Twitter takes a shot at retargeting
Media scrambles to cover Mandela’s death
Rethinking media’s compensation model
Want higher ratings? Program holiday music.
‘Bonnie & Clyde,’ shoot-em-up lovers
Rachel, I try so hard. It’s never enough.
‘Modern Family’ gains in syndication
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
Netflix scores another awards first
Best tube bets this weekend
NBC Christmas special soars to seven-year high
- Deirdre Finnegan becomes publisher at EatingWell magazine
- Sam Rosen becomes VP of marketing at The Atlantic
- Eric Schurenberg rises to president at Inc. Magazine
- Nicoletta Santoro becomes creative director at Town&Country
- Claudia Foghini rises to SVP of production strategy at Telemundo
- Leslie Scott rises to digital program director at Entercom
- Todd Porch becomes VP and GM at Comcast Wholesale AdDelivery
- Todd Taplin becomes EVP of global sales at Celtra
- Four join branding firm The Sound Research
- Rick Allen becomes lead race announcer at NBC Sports
- 'Early Start' anchor Zoraida Sambolin exiting CNN
- Ana Jurka becomes on-air personality at Deportes Telemundo
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan
Media operations coordinator job in New York
Media planner opening in Brooklyn
Media planner/buyer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Media buyer position in Hartford, Conn.