It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a dragon in the NYT.
February 28, 2013
At first glance, it looked as though someone had spilled some coffee on The New York Times.
A second glance revealed that the stain wasn’t really a stain at all, more like a shadow. In fact, the shadow looked like a dragon.
That’s exactly what it was, seemingly flying across the pages of the Arts section on Monday, a clever advertisement for the upcoming season of “Game of Thrones.”
The ad ran over top of some dummy copy, not real NYT stories. It was simply the shape of a dragon, wings flung out in flight. It was mean to indicate that the dragon was flying overhead and casting its shadow on your paper.
On the bottom right was the ad copy, advertising the return of “Thrones” on March 31 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
The ad got all sorts of play online, where it was commented on in social media and spurred stories by several media-focused news organizations.
Vme TV airing Christmas marathon
‘Survivor’ paces CBS to a Wednesday win
Where people watch online video: PCs
Fact: Folks are addicted to their phones
Kids’ holiday specials are a bit less jolly
‘Mozart in the Jungle,’ lust in the pits
What will be the big media stories of 2015?
For the final time, ‘The Colbert Report’
Cable overnights: ‘Home Alone’ tops the night
And now, the latest premium video site
Hackers win: Sony yanks ‘The Interview’
Univision scores with Liga MX final
‘The Voice’ exits on a two-month high
- Justine Bloome becomes head of strategy at Carat USA
- Carol Duncan becomes SVP and CFO at Barker
- Bill Robinson becomes VP of partnership development at Home Team Sports
- Sharon Dastur becomes SVP of programming integration at iHeartMedia
- Tasneem Raja becomes senior digital editor at NPR
- Mike Wilson becomes editor at The Dallas Morning News
- Ian Bremmer becomes foreign affairs columnist at Time
- Dan Berman and Sacha Scoblic join National Journal
- Cosme Lopez rises to SVP and GM of pay-TV at Cisneros Media
- John Lambertus becomes VP of revenue operations at Vdopia
- Former CBS News executive Emerson Stone dies at 86
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer opening in Memphis
Media planner/buyer wanted in Boston
Needed: Digital media coordinator in Roswell, Ga.
Media buyer/digital strategist job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Broadcast media buyer wanted in Denver