It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a dragon in the NYT.
February 28, 2013
At first glance, it looked as though someone had spilled some coffee on The New York Times.
A second glance revealed that the stain wasn’t really a stain at all, more like a shadow. In fact, the shadow looked like a dragon.
That’s exactly what it was, seemingly flying across the pages of the Arts section on Monday, a clever advertisement for the upcoming season of “Game of Thrones.”
The ad ran over top of some dummy copy, not real NYT stories. It was simply the shape of a dragon, wings flung out in flight. It was mean to indicate that the dragon was flying overhead and casting its shadow on your paper.
On the bottom right was the ad copy, advertising the return of “Thrones” on March 31 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
The ad got all sorts of play online, where it was commented on in social media and spurred stories by several media-focused news organizations.
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
‘The Simpsons’ again, again, and again
Cable overnights: Comedy reruns top Tuesday
Hearst tries a Millennial magazine in NYC
NBC cancels ‘Working the Engels’
A media buyer’s guide to the Emmys
Two chances to see ‘Madam Secretary’
FX renews ‘Strain’ for season two
‘America’s Got Talent’ boosts NBC to No. 1
Readers: New faces will win Emmys
Cable remembers Robin Williams
Summer’s least appreciated shows
‘Epic Ink,’ yes, it’s really about tattoos
- Belle Lenz becomes regional communications director at Dentsu Aegis
- Jeremy Langer becomes VP of programming at Tennis Channel
- Juan Vallejo rises to SVP of ad sales at Fox Hispanic Media
- Mabel Martinez becomes beauty editor at Siempre Mujer
- Robin Green becomes VP of sales at PostUp
- Celia Wu and Tim Faircliff join The 614 Group
- Megan Alexander becomes special correspondent at CBS Newspath
- Boris Izaguirre joins Telemundo's 'Yo Soy el Artista'
- Bear Grylls starring in new Discovery Channel series
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit
Senior media planner/buyer job in Phoenix
Opening for an associate media director in SF
Media buyer opening in Milwaukee
Manager of media planning job in Dallas