It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a dragon in the NYT.
February 28, 2013
At first glance, it looked as though someone had spilled some coffee on The New York Times.
A second glance revealed that the stain wasn’t really a stain at all, more like a shadow. In fact, the shadow looked like a dragon.
That’s exactly what it was, seemingly flying across the pages of the Arts section on Monday, a clever advertisement for the upcoming season of “Game of Thrones.”
The ad ran over top of some dummy copy, not real NYT stories. It was simply the shape of a dragon, wings flung out in flight. It was mean to indicate that the dragon was flying overhead and casting its shadow on your paper.
On the bottom right was the ad copy, advertising the return of “Thrones” on March 31 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
The ad got all sorts of play online, where it was commented on in social media and spurred stories by several media-focused news organizations.
‘How to Get Away With Murder’ equals a season high
Satellite’s now an afterthought in the era of digital radio
NASCAR spins its wheels as season gets underway
Best of the week: Ranking black American influencers
Paper cuts: Axe swings at The Financial Times
It’s time to get over the gimcrack of Times Square
Weekend TV: It’s Oscar time in la la land
People really didn’t like media coverage of the election
Cable overnights: ‘Alaskan Bush People’ rises in finale
ABC wins Wednesday with night’s top four shows
TV programming blog: All the cancellations and renewals
Who’s leading the February sweep? It’s complicated.
So-so start for HBO’s much-hyped latest new series
- Eight join at FCB Chicago
- Seth Kusiak rises to VP of infrastructure and security services at Advertising Specialty Institute
- John Podesta joins The Washington Post as contributing columnist
- Kim Lamoreaux joins DeForest Times-Tribune
- Lauren Burack rises to SVP of brand and consumer marketing at IFC
- Matthew Broderick starring in ‘Katrina: American Crime Story’
- Brad Garrett joins CBS drama pilot ‘The Get’
- Lea Michele joins ABC comedy pilot
- Lauren Graham joins Fox comedy ‘Linda From HR’
- Former Fox News Channel host Alan Colmes dies at 66
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York