It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a dragon in the NYT.
February 28, 2013
At first glance, it looked as though someone had spilled some coffee on The New York Times.
A second glance revealed that the stain wasn’t really a stain at all, more like a shadow. In fact, the shadow looked like a dragon.
That’s exactly what it was, seemingly flying across the pages of the Arts section on Monday, a clever advertisement for the upcoming season of “Game of Thrones.”
The ad ran over top of some dummy copy, not real NYT stories. It was simply the shape of a dragon, wings flung out in flight. It was mean to indicate that the dragon was flying overhead and casting its shadow on your paper.
On the bottom right was the ad copy, advertising the return of “Thrones” on March 31 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
The ad got all sorts of play online, where it was commented on in social media and spurred stories by several media-focused news organizations.
Time Inc.’s long, rough summer continues
Which U.S. Olympic athlete’s sponsors spent most?
Even with Olympics over, NBC stays on top
Olympics finish strong on social media
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Where political is booming: Social and search
Quiet close to up-and-down Summer Games
Fox’s ‘The Exorcist’: Bloody hell, this looks bad
The next wave: America’s Hispanics and the New America
Tell us, how’s Donald Trump’s campaign going?
For ‘The View,’ still dishing amid the drama
One last look at Gawker’s impressive numbers
Pandora’s new strategy: It’s going on-demand
- Bill Cimino becomes CCO at McCann Detroit
- Randy Rovegno, Michael Voice and Caroline Wilson join Pop
- Jennifer Csengody-Novetsky becomes senior editor at Harper's Bazaar
- Jeff Tamarkin becomes editor at BestClassicBands.com
- Jason Solinsky becomes chief technology officer at fuboTV
- Rey Mysterio signs first-look deal at El Rey Network
- Rupert Grint, Ed Westwick and Dougray Scott join Crackle's 'Snatch'
- Sarah Paulson joins the cast of FX's 'Feud'
- Newspaperman George E. Curry dies at age 69
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: June 2016
This month’s new media traffic data
Associate media planner wanted in Brooklyn
Senior media planner job in Dearborn, Michigan
Needed: Print media buyer in Chicago
Digital media buyer wanted in El Segundo
Media buyer wanted in Austin