It’s a bird. It’s a plane. It’s a dragon in the NYT.
February 28, 2013
At first glance, it looked as though someone had spilled some coffee on The New York Times.
A second glance revealed that the stain wasn’t really a stain at all, more like a shadow. In fact, the shadow looked like a dragon.
That’s exactly what it was, seemingly flying across the pages of the Arts section on Monday, a clever advertisement for the upcoming season of “Game of Thrones.”
The ad ran over top of some dummy copy, not real NYT stories. It was simply the shape of a dragon, wings flung out in flight. It was mean to indicate that the dragon was flying overhead and casting its shadow on your paper.
On the bottom right was the ad copy, advertising the return of “Thrones” on March 31 at 9 p.m. on HBO.
The ad got all sorts of play online, where it was commented on in social media and spurred stories by several media-focused news organizations.
ABC wins first night of November sweeps
Game 7 smacks a home run for Fox
A buyer’s primer on out of home measurement
‘Olive Kitteridge,’ fine tale brilliantly told
Rachel, talk to me about networking
The new frontier: Digital out of home
Best tube bets this weekend
So, who will win the November sweeps?
The complete TV schedule for election night
‘Sleepy Hollow’ scares up some buzz with Lyft
NBC Universal renews Meredith Vieira’s show
Native advertising gives NY Times a lift
NBC keeps on riding the Breeder’s Cup
- Jessie McGuire becomes U.S. strategy director at Elmwood
- Greg McAlinden becomes creative director at ODD
- Nick Ascheim rises and Shaun Hekking joins at BBC Worldwide
- Jonathan Hills becomes VP of digital media at Bravo Media
- Debbie Reichig becomes SVP of sales research at Twentieth TV
- Isaac Payam Ahdout becomes SVP of engineering at Tapad
- Fred Melamed joins Showtime's 'House of Lies'
- Lily Rabe appearing on FX's 'American Horror Story'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' cast guesting on TBS's 'Conan'
- Joel McHale remaining host of E!’s ‘The Soup’
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer wanted in Las Vegas
Junior media buyer opening in Venice, California
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin