In New York City, rock gets rolled
October 10, 2012
Rock and roll is dead.
At least contemporary rock and roll, and at least in New York City, which will be without a commercial rock station as of this fall, when WEMP begins simulcasting WFAN, a sports network.
Yesterday CBS Radio said it is buying the 101.9 frequency in order to bring its popular AM station to an even broader audience, signaling the waning power of rock on the radio dial.
WEMP had been NYC’s last remaining commercial rock station, as defined by Arbitron, playing contemporary music. The city does have a classic rock station and some areas can receive signals from rock stations in neighboring areas, such as New Jersey.
Rock simply hasn’t been a popular format in NYC of late. In fact, WEMP had already undergone several format changes in the past 15 months, including a stint as a news-talk station and as an alternative rock station.
Of course the current music scene is as much to blame as anything. Dance music and pop have dominated the top 40 for some time.
A media buyer’s guide to the Emmys
Two chances to see ‘Madam Secretary’
FX renews ‘Strain’ for season two
‘America’s Got Talent’ boosts NBC to No. 1
Readers: New faces will win Emmys
Cable remembers Robin Williams
Summer’s least appreciated shows
‘Epic Ink,’ yes, it’s really about tattoos
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
For ‘Suits,’ finding its quirky voice
Cable overnights: ‘MNF’ returns strong
A new owner for Fairchild Fashion Media
Islamic State: We’ve beheaded kidnapped journalist
- Belle Lenz becomes regional communications director at Dentsu Aegis
- Jeremy Langer becomes VP of programming at Tennis Channel
- Juan Vallejo rises to SVP of ad sales at Fox Hispanic Media
- Mabel Martinez becomes beauty editor at Siempre Mujer
- Robin Green becomes VP of sales at PostUp
- Celia Wu and Tim Faircliff join The 614 Group
- Megan Alexander becomes special correspondent at CBS Newspath
- Boris Izaguirre joins Telemundo's 'Yo Soy el Artista'
- Bear Grylls starring in new Discovery Channel series
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit
Senior media planner/buyer job in Phoenix
Opening for an associate media director in SF
Media buyer opening in Milwaukee
Manager of media planning job in Dallas