In New York City, rock gets rolled
October 10, 2012
Rock and roll is dead.
At least contemporary rock and roll, and at least in New York City, which will be without a commercial rock station as of this fall, when WEMP begins simulcasting WFAN, a sports network.
Yesterday CBS Radio said it is buying the 101.9 frequency in order to bring its popular AM station to an even broader audience, signaling the waning power of rock on the radio dial.
WEMP had been NYC’s last remaining commercial rock station, as defined by Arbitron, playing contemporary music. The city does have a classic rock station and some areas can receive signals from rock stations in neighboring areas, such as New Jersey.
Rock simply hasn’t been a popular format in NYC of late. In fact, WEMP had already undergone several format changes in the past 15 months, including a stint as a news-talk station and as an alternative rock station.
Of course the current music scene is as much to blame as anything. Dance music and pop have dominated the top 40 for some time.
NBC’s ‘Tonight Show’ hits 11-month high
Friday overnights: ‘Last Man Standing’ lifts ABC
This week’s daypart ratings
Remembering Leonard Nimoy, ‘Star Trek’s’ Spock
Solid sendoff for ‘How to Get Away with Murder’
Alas, 2014 wasn’t good for advertising
Nickelodeon upfront: Cutting the cord
‘The Last Man on Earth,’ quite good
Rachel, I’m fed up with his dirty talk
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Best tube bets this weekend
Cable overnights: ‘O’Reilly’ tops 3 million again
CBS slates summer premiere dates
- Dan Matarelli becomes VP and director at SMG Performance Marketing
- Chris Gyorgy becomes group creative director at Havas Chicago
- Jonathan Lewis and Dave Ortega rise at McKee Wallwork + Co.
- Alan Brydon becomes CEO at the Outdoor Media Centre
- Mike Sundet becomes director of sports and entertainment at Momentum
- Remy Stern rises to chief digital officer at The New York Post
- Deena Schacter joins and Katie Tomlinson rises at Veranda
- Luz Maria Doria, Irma Martinez and Luz Avila-Kyncl join Siempre Mujer
- Mark Boudreaux becomes director of sales at Entercom New Orleans
- Duncan Lawrence and Sharna Morelli rise at Morpace
- Rob Stone becomes studio host for Fox's Women's World Cup
- Andrew J. West joins CW's 'Dead People'
- Adam Rodriguez joins ABC drama pilot 'Runner'
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager
Digital media buyer job in Springfield, MO
Assistant media planner job in Santa Monica
Digital media planner opening in Las Vegas