In New York City, rock gets rolled
October 10, 2012
Rock and roll is dead.
At least contemporary rock and roll, and at least in New York City, which will be without a commercial rock station as of this fall, when WEMP begins simulcasting WFAN, a sports network.
Yesterday CBS Radio said it is buying the 101.9 frequency in order to bring its popular AM station to an even broader audience, signaling the waning power of rock on the radio dial.
WEMP had been NYC’s last remaining commercial rock station, as defined by Arbitron, playing contemporary music. The city does have a classic rock station and some areas can receive signals from rock stations in neighboring areas, such as New Jersey.
Rock simply hasn’t been a popular format in NYC of late. In fact, WEMP had already undergone several format changes in the past 15 months, including a stint as a news-talk station and as an alternative rock station.
Of course the current music scene is as much to blame as anything. Dance music and pop have dominated the top 40 for some time.
Buh-bye, Boo Boo: TLC cancels reality show
‘Thursday Night Football’ goes out on top
No new shows have been axed. Why?
Magazines’ one area of hurt: On PCs
‘Death Comes to Pemberley,’ dear Jane
Rachel, I’ve gone years with no raise
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
Best tube bets this weekend
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago