‘I was just friended by Jerry Rice!’
October 12, 2012
The sedentary hours that kids spend playing video games are a likely reason one in three kids these days are overweight, but one gaming company is using a clever alternative media stunt to try to help turn that trend around.
Kinect for the video game console Xbox 360 is the main sponsor of the NFL's Play 60 program, which fights childhood obesity by encouraging kids to get out and play for at least an hour a day. The two have teamed up for a new program called the "60 Million Minutes Challenge," which can earn kids some unusual prizes via social media.
Kids who visit Facebook.Xbox60MillionMinutes.com and pledge to be active for 60 minutes a day will be entered to win a "social autograph" sent to their personal Facebook pages.
The winning children will be "friended" by current and former NFL players, such as Jerry Rice and Drew Brees, meaning they can show all their online pals they've become Facebook friends with a real-life football star.
The idea is to spread the movement socially, encouraging other kids to pledge to be active for an hour a day in hopes of winning the same prize.
The goal of the program is to get 1 million kids to sign up, for a total of 60 million minutes of active play each day.
Readers: No C7 during this upfront
USA’s summer lineup: ‘Pains’ and ‘Affairs’
Whoa: Amazon scores HBO Go
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
Scripps upfront: Ellen’s doing cable
‘Bad Teacher,’ not enough to be good
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Saluting Ryan Seacrest, multi-tasker
- GroupM communications director John Wolfe exiting
- Theresa Griggs becomes creative director at Cosmopolitan
- Ryan D’Agostino and David Granger join Popular Mechanics
- Jeanne Fontana becomes health and wellness president at Robb Report
- Christopher Dolan becomes publisher at Muscle & Fitness
- Karen Bonck becomes SVP of branded partnerships at Debmar-Mercury
- Sam Register rises to president at Warner Bros. Animation
- Luis 'El Matador' Hernandez joins Fox Deportes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg hosting NBC's 'SNL'
- Jennifer Garner developing mystery project at Bravo
- 'Bachelorette' contestant Eric Hill dies at age 31
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia