‘I was just friended by Jerry Rice!’
October 12, 2012
The sedentary hours that kids spend playing video games are a likely reason one in three kids these days are overweight, but one gaming company is using a clever alternative media stunt to try to help turn that trend around.
Kinect for the video game console Xbox 360 is the main sponsor of the NFL's Play 60 program, which fights childhood obesity by encouraging kids to get out and play for at least an hour a day. The two have teamed up for a new program called the "60 Million Minutes Challenge," which can earn kids some unusual prizes via social media.
Kids who visit Facebook.Xbox60MillionMinutes.com and pledge to be active for 60 minutes a day will be entered to win a "social autograph" sent to their personal Facebook pages.
The winning children will be "friended" by current and former NFL players, such as Jerry Rice and Drew Brees, meaning they can show all their online pals they've become Facebook friends with a real-life football star.
The idea is to spread the movement socially, encouraging other kids to pledge to be active for an hour a day in hopes of winning the same prize.
The goal of the program is to get 1 million kids to sign up, for a total of 60 million minutes of active play each day.
‘Duck’ flies higher after season low
Disney Interactive chops 700 jobs
NBC’s dilemma: Whither ‘Community’?
‘Late Night With Seth Meyers,’ go to bed
Rachel, I’ve been stuck bigtime by co-workers
‘Resurrection,’ it’s got a shot
Tell us, are you happy with your salary?
Best tube bets this weekend
Shocker: Isaiah Washington back on ‘Grey’s’
ABC, CBS and Fox bounce back on Wednesday
RJ Palmer, Varick and TargetCast merge into Assembly
Pew: Pope’s getting good buzz on Twitter
How much is new media encroaching on old?
- Heather Sandford becomes digital media manager at Ad Partners
- Martin Mohr becomes creative director at TBWA\Chiat\Day
- Carlos Sanchez becomes EVP and GM at Fox Deportes
- Greg Daniel, Laura Nelson, Saul Rosenberg and Marcy Shinder join Nielsen
- Liz Coddington and Melissa Stein join Adara Global
- Akiba Solomon becomes editorial director at Colorlines
- Matthew Galkin rises to partner at Warrior Poets
- Carlos Hermosillo joins Telemundo's sportscasting team
- Brooke Burke-Charvet guesting on ABC Family's 'Melissa & Joey'
- Gabriel Luna starring in El Rey Network's 'Matador'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior planner/buyer opening in Daytona Beach
Media coordinator job in Anchroage
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media planner/buyer opening in Ancorage
Online marketing media buyer in Camas, Wash.