Here they are, the year’s top commercials
December 14, 2012
There are two different kinds of TV advertisements.
There are the regular, everyday kind that people fast-forward through while watching the episode of “Modern Family” that they DVRed last night.
And then there are the special ones, the ones that agencies devote lots of time to developing creatively and hope will go viral with a particularly compelling theme or direction.
Those are the ones that people watch voluntarily online, and they’re the ones that made YouTube’s annual list of top 20 most-watched commercials, released yesterday.
Topping the list is a Nike ad from Wieden + Kennedy London that shows a rogue band of footballers disrupting games, gyms and streets. It’s not your average commercial in more ways than one; it runs more than three minutes.
No. 2 is Pepsi Max and Kyrie Irving Present: Uncle Drew, from The Marketing Arm/Davie Brown Entertainment, followed by Volkswagen’s The Bark Side of the Moon, which debuted during the Super Bowl, from Deutsch LA.
Old Spice had the most ads in the top 20 with four, while Nike and Volkswagen had two apiece. Eight of the ads were for cars, several of which appeared during the Super Bowl.
You can view all of the top 20 commercials here.
ABC and Fox tie for first on Thursday
The coming political boom for radio
How papers are reaching out to Millennials
Local Super Bowl advertising at a glance
Rachel, my boss doesn’t know when day’s done
So, what are your thoughts on Donald Trump now?
Weekend TV: The zombies are back
Newsweek tears down its paywall
Maybe it’s not quite time for the smartwatch
Cable overnights: Less excitement for Cavs-Lakers
A tight Wednesday night for broadcast
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Our most endangered medium: Direct mail
- Philippe Krakowsky rises to chairman at IPG Mediabrands
- Rodrigo Grau becomes CCO at JWT Latin America
- Charles Thornton becomes VP of digital at the Automotive Ad Agency
- Todd Eisner becomes creative director at barrettSF
- Sarah Katt becomes VP of product development at AccuWeather
- David Pescovitz becomes editor at large at WebbyAwards.com
- Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join BBC America's 'Top Gear'
- Lee Majors joins Starz' 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'
- Kyle Schmid joins History military drama 'Six'
- Shawn Ashmore joins ABC drama pilot 'Conviction'
- Scott Wilson joins Netflix's 'The OA'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager