Here they are, the year’s top commercials
December 14, 2012
There are two different kinds of TV advertisements.
There are the regular, everyday kind that people fast-forward through while watching the episode of “Modern Family” that they DVRed last night.
And then there are the special ones, the ones that agencies devote lots of time to developing creatively and hope will go viral with a particularly compelling theme or direction.
Those are the ones that people watch voluntarily online, and they’re the ones that made YouTube’s annual list of top 20 most-watched commercials, released yesterday.
Topping the list is a Nike ad from Wieden + Kennedy London that shows a rogue band of footballers disrupting games, gyms and streets. It’s not your average commercial in more ways than one; it runs more than three minutes.
No. 2 is Pepsi Max and Kyrie Irving Present: Uncle Drew, from The Marketing Arm/Davie Brown Entertainment, followed by Volkswagen’s The Bark Side of the Moon, which debuted during the Super Bowl, from Deutsch LA.
Old Spice had the most ads in the top 20 with four, while Nike and Volkswagen had two apiece. Eight of the ads were for cars, several of which appeared during the Super Bowl.
You can view all of the top 20 commercials here.
Another series low for ‘American Idol’
‘Duck’ flies higher after season low
Disney Interactive chops 700 jobs
NBC’s dilemma: Whither ‘Community’?
‘Late Night With Seth Meyers,’ go to bed
Rachel, I’ve been stuck bigtime by co-workers
‘Resurrection,’ it’s got a shot
Tell us, are you happy with your salary?
Best tube bets this weekend
Shocker: Isaiah Washington back on ‘Grey’s’
ABC, CBS and Fox bounce back on Wednesday
RJ Palmer, Varick and TargetCast merge into Assembly
Pew: Pope’s getting good buzz on Twitter
- Heather Sandford becomes digital media manager at Ad Partners
- Martin Mohr becomes creative director at TBWA\Chiat\Day
- Carlos Sanchez becomes EVP and GM at Fox Deportes
- Greg Daniel, Laura Nelson, Saul Rosenberg and Marcy Shinder join Nielsen
- Liz Coddington and Melissa Stein join Adara Global
- Akiba Solomon becomes editorial director at Colorlines
- Matthew Galkin rises to partner at Warrior Poets
- Carlos Hermosillo joins Telemundo's sportscasting team
- Brooke Burke-Charvet guesting on ABC Family's 'Melissa & Joey'
- Gabriel Luna starring in El Rey Network's 'Matador'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior planner/buyer opening in Daytona Beach
Media coordinator job in Anchroage
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media planner/buyer opening in Ancorage
Online marketing media buyer in Camas, Wash.