Flynt offers $1 million to Senate candidate
November 1, 2012
The day after Halloween you might expect to see newspaper ads promoting a costume fire sale, deeply discounted candy or even, in a sign of how long the holiday season now stretches, a few Christmas deals.
But Indianapolis Star subscribers today are seeing something quite different courtesy of Hustler publisher Larry Flynt.
Flynt took out a full-page ad in today’s edition offering a $1 million reward to Richard Mourdock, the Indiana Republican candidate for Senate, if he can offer proof to support a controversial statement he made during a debate last week.
Mourdock said, “Even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.”
Flynt is pretty insistent on what would constitute evidence: “Letters, e-mail, text messages or videos from God, or messages addressed to you from God transmitted by any third party, including the Republican National Committee or the Romney/Ryan campaign.”
This is hardly Flynt’s first tongue-in-cheek big-bucks offer regarding a political candidate. Earlier this year Flynt offered $1 million for information on tax returns that Mitt Romney had refused to release; he publicized the gambit with ads in The Washington Post and USA Today.
Alas, Mourdock had better get his evidence together quickly if he wants to cash in. Flynt’s offer is good only until Nov. 5, according to the ad.
Two chances to see ‘Madam Secretary’
FX renews ‘Strain’ for season two
‘America’s Got Talent’ boosts NBC to No. 1
Readers: New faces will win Emmys
Cable remembers Robin Williams
Summer’s least appreciated shows
‘Epic Ink,’ yes, it’s really about tattoos
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
For ‘Suits,’ finding its quirky voice
Cable overnights: ‘MNF’ returns strong
A new owner for Fairchild Fashion Media
Islamic State: We’ve beheaded kidnapped journalist
Remembering Don Pardo, the voice of ‘SNL’
- Julie Levin becomes CMO at Publicis Worldwide North America
- Nora Zimmett becomes SVP of live programming at Weather Channel
- Ken Reiner rises to VP of programming at Raycom Media
- Carlos Bardasano and Andrés Mendoza rise at Univision
- Mike Corry rises to senior director of ad sales at Music Choice
- Jayme Beth Frieder becomes senior director of sales at Simulmedia
- Alan Ives becomes VP of North America sales at wywy
- Scott Portugal becomes publisher platform GM at Yieldbot
- Stephanie Himonidis joins Telemundo's 'Yo Soy el Artista'
- Adrianne Palicki guesting on ABC's 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'
- ABC News anchor Elizabeth Vargas returns to rehab
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit
Senior media planner/buyer job in Phoenix
Opening for an associate media director in SF
Media buyer opening in Milwaukee
Manager of media planning job in Dallas