Finally a slam dunk for LA’s SportsNet
November 15, 2012
Whether this is a good thing, based on the team’s dismal start, is certainly up for debate.
Nonetheless, DirecTV subscribers who are also Los Angeles Lakers fans will finally get to see their team play this season.
After a long standoff, the satellite broadcaster has reportedly agreed to carry the new Time Warner Cable networks SportsNet and Deportes, which launched earlier this fall and are now the regional home to the Lakers.
TWC had heated disputes with DirecTV as well as other cable carriers in the area, including Cox and Charter, as well as telecoms such as Verizon and AT&T.
They argued that TWC was asking too much per subscriber for an unproven network whose only premium content, the Lakers, is on just half the year.
Terms of the deal have not been released.
The agreement was important to TWC because DirecTV has huge distribution in the LA area, with some 1.7 million households, according to the Los Angeles Times, which first reported the deal.
Now the lone holdout for SportsNet is Dish Network.
Another series low for ‘American Idol’
‘Duck’ flies higher after season low
Disney Interactive chops 700 jobs
NBC’s dilemma: Whither ‘Community’?
‘Late Night With Seth Meyers,’ go to bed
Rachel, I’ve been stuck bigtime by co-workers
‘Resurrection,’ it’s got a shot
Tell us, are you happy with your salary?
Best tube bets this weekend
Shocker: Isaiah Washington back on ‘Grey’s’
ABC, CBS and Fox bounce back on Wednesday
RJ Palmer, Varick and TargetCast merge into Assembly
Pew: Pope’s getting good buzz on Twitter
- Heather Sandford becomes digital media manager at Ad Partners
- Martin Mohr becomes creative director at TBWA\Chiat\Day
- Carlos Sanchez becomes EVP and GM at Fox Deportes
- Greg Daniel, Laura Nelson, Saul Rosenberg and Marcy Shinder join Nielsen
- Liz Coddington and Melissa Stein join Adara Global
- Akiba Solomon becomes editorial director at Colorlines
- Matthew Galkin rises to partner at Warrior Poets
- Carlos Hermosillo joins Telemundo's sportscasting team
- Brooke Burke-Charvet guesting on ABC Family's 'Melissa & Joey'
- Gabriel Luna starring in El Rey Network's 'Matador'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior planner/buyer opening in Daytona Beach
Media coordinator job in Anchroage
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media planner/buyer opening in Ancorage
Online marketing media buyer in Camas, Wash.