Finally a slam dunk for LA’s SportsNet
November 15, 2012
Whether this is a good thing, based on the team’s dismal start, is certainly up for debate.
Nonetheless, DirecTV subscribers who are also Los Angeles Lakers fans will finally get to see their team play this season.
After a long standoff, the satellite broadcaster has reportedly agreed to carry the new Time Warner Cable networks SportsNet and Deportes, which launched earlier this fall and are now the regional home to the Lakers.
TWC had heated disputes with DirecTV as well as other cable carriers in the area, including Cox and Charter, as well as telecoms such as Verizon and AT&T.
They argued that TWC was asking too much per subscriber for an unproven network whose only premium content, the Lakers, is on just half the year.
Terms of the deal have not been released.
The agreement was important to TWC because DirecTV has huge distribution in the LA area, with some 1.7 million households, according to the Los Angeles Times, which first reported the deal.
Now the lone holdout for SportsNet is Dish Network.
For Fox, some rougher times ahead
Jon Swallen on changes in the media economy
Welcome to Central Perk, 20 years later
‘Tim & Eric’s Bedtime Stories,’ sip a few
Tell us, which new fall TV shows will survive?
For buff dating, some boffo ratings
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ stays No. 1
Study: TV still dominates video time
There she is (on Twitter), Miss America
Networks to media: DVRs are really, really important
Big jump for penultimate ‘America’s Got Talent’
A bit of advertiser backlash for the NFL
Limp second quarter for ad spending
- Guy Vidra becomes CEO at The New Republic
- Tim O’Connor becomes corporate sales managing director at Meredith
- Molly Battles becomes men's group PR manager at Bonnier
- Caleb Weinstein becomes EVP of affiliate distribution at Fox International
- Donny Hudson becomes EVP of sales at America CV
- Jodi Lipe becomes SVP of marketing at Ovation
- Ari Osur becomes VP of product marketing at Simulmedia
- Patrick Jager becomes EVP and CEO at Everwise/Banner Media
- Bill Hader hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Mark Feuerstein joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Gloria Steinem guesting on CBS's 'The Good Wife'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Needed ASAP: Media buyer in Fort Worth
Job for media buyer/planner with DC PR agency
Programmatic media buyer job in York, Pennsylvania
Media buyer opening in Las Vegas
Immediate opening for a media buyer/planner