Finally a slam dunk for LA’s SportsNet
November 15, 2012
Whether this is a good thing, based on the team’s dismal start, is certainly up for debate.
Nonetheless, DirecTV subscribers who are also Los Angeles Lakers fans will finally get to see their team play this season.
After a long standoff, the satellite broadcaster has reportedly agreed to carry the new Time Warner Cable networks SportsNet and Deportes, which launched earlier this fall and are now the regional home to the Lakers.
TWC had heated disputes with DirecTV as well as other cable carriers in the area, including Cox and Charter, as well as telecoms such as Verizon and AT&T.
They argued that TWC was asking too much per subscriber for an unproven network whose only premium content, the Lakers, is on just half the year.
Terms of the deal have not been released.
The agreement was important to TWC because DirecTV has huge distribution in the LA area, with some 1.7 million households, according to the Los Angeles Times, which first reported the deal.
Now the lone holdout for SportsNet is Dish Network.
Buh-bye, Boo Boo: TLC cancels reality show
‘Thursday Night Football’ goes out on top
No new shows have been axed. Why?
Magazines’ one area of hurt: On PCs
‘Death Comes to Pemberley,’ dear Jane
Rachel, I’ve gone years with no raise
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
Best tube bets this weekend
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago