Dutch journalist raped in Egypt
July 3, 2013
Two years after CBS News reporter Lara Logan was sexually assaulted while covering the 2011 Egyptian uprising, another journalist has been attacked while covering unrest in the country.
The Netherlands Embassy in Egypt released a statement yesterday saying that a 22-year-old Dutch woman was attacked in Tahrir Square on Friday night; an Egyptian news report said the woman was raped. She was treated in a Cairo hospital and then sent back to her family in The Netherlands.
The woman had been covering the uprising in the square, where protesters are calling for the resignation of President Mohamed Morsi.
Video has been posted online that apparently shows the woman just before she was attacked. Her rape was first reported by Egypt 25 reporter Dina Zakaria, who noted the incident on her Facebook page.
It comes after Logan was brutalized by an Egyptian mob in January 2011 while reporting on the fall of Hosni Mubarak.
This season’s most time-shifted shows
Behind the push for big data in media
Sacramento: TV is solid, radio strong
‘CSI: Cyber,’ playing to an older crowd
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
‘Dig,’ off we go to Armageddon, again
Now, elsewhere in the Marvel universe
Mort’s mystery man: John Catsimatidis
Rebekah Brooks eyes a return to News Corp.
‘Orange is the New Black’ back this summer
Paper cuts: Buyouts at the Chicago Sun-Times
Strong start for Fox’s ‘Last Man on Earth’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
- Rob Reifenheiser rises to North America managing director at Essence
- James Price becomes SVP of data insights at Outfront Media
- Nick Brien becomes CEO at iCrossing
- Didi Gluck becomes deputy beauty editor at More magazine
- Jeff Dossett becomes chief revenue officer at GOOD Worldwide
- María Lopez-Knowles rises to CMO at Entravision
- Clare Ferguson becomes design director at Marie Claire
- Amy Levin-Epstein becomes executive editor at Serendipity
- Christopher Meloni joins WGN America's 'Underground'
- Elliott Gould joins CBS drama pilot 'Doubt'
- Sarah Chalke joins Fox's '48 Hours 'Til Monday'
- Mark Cuban and Ann Coulter join Syfy's 'Sharknado 3'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager