Discovery grounds ‘American Chopper’
November 18, 2012
Another pioneering cable show is leaving the air.
Discovery is chopping “American Chopper” after a 10-year run that saw the Teutuls, a team of father and son motorcycle builders, weather a bitter family feud.
The show will end with a Dec. 11 special airing live from Las Vegas called “The Revenge.”
“Chopper” was once one of Discovery’s top programs, but it was canceled after moving to TLC in 2008 shortly after the Teutuls began their war of words.
In 2010 the show was revived as “American Chopper: Junior vs. Senior,” which showcased the feud for its ratings value. The show eventually moved back to Discovery after drawing strong ratings.
“Chopper” was one of the first docu-series on cable, helping to popularize a format that later came to dominate Discovery-owned and other channels.
Meanwhile, in other programming, Showtime has ordered a third season of “Web Therapy,” Lisa Kudrow’s offbeat comedy about an online therapist. Matt Le Blanc will become Kudrow’s latest former “Friends” co-star to guest on the show, following a guest arc by David Schwimmer this season.
And TVLand's "Hot in Cleveland" plans to air a live episode for its season premiere on June 19 at 10 p.m.
Tags: american chopper, american chopper canceled, American Chopper Junior, cable, David Schwimmer, discovery, las vegas, Lisa Kudrow, Matt Le Blanc, Plus Showtime, premiere, programming notes, ratings, season premiere, teutuls, tlc, web therapy
The year that was: 2014 by the numbers
As other spending slows, digital surges
‘Galavant,’ ambitious but disappointing
As the year ends, Rachel reminisces
What will be the big media stories of 2015?
Best tube bets this weekend
Cable overnights: ‘Colbert Report’ surges
Networks: Hey, don’t let Aereo do that
Order from Amazon, get it in an hour
Survey: People trust the internet, for now
Vme TV airing Christmas marathon
‘Survivor’ paces CBS to a Wednesday win
Where people watch online video: PCs
- Justine Bloome becomes head of strategy at Carat USA
- Carol Duncan becomes SVP and CFO at Barker
- Bill Robinson becomes VP of partnership development at Home Team Sports
- Sharon Dastur becomes SVP of programming integration at iHeartMedia
- Tasneem Raja becomes senior digital editor at NPR
- Mike Wilson becomes editor at The Dallas Morning News
- Ian Bremmer becomes foreign affairs columnist at Time
- Dan Berman and Sacha Scoblic join National Journal
- Cosme Lopez rises to SVP and GM of pay-TV at Cisneros Media
- John Lambertus becomes VP of revenue operations at Vdopia
- Former CBS News executive Emerson Stone dies at 86
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer opening in Memphis
Media planner/buyer wanted in Boston
Needed: Digital media coordinator in Roswell, Ga.
Media buyer/digital strategist job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Broadcast media buyer wanted in Denver