Discovery grounds ‘American Chopper’
November 18, 2012
Another pioneering cable show is leaving the air.
Discovery is chopping “American Chopper” after a 10-year run that saw the Teutuls, a team of father and son motorcycle builders, weather a bitter family feud.
The show will end with a Dec. 11 special airing live from Las Vegas called “The Revenge.”
“Chopper” was once one of Discovery’s top programs, but it was canceled after moving to TLC in 2008 shortly after the Teutuls began their war of words.
In 2010 the show was revived as “American Chopper: Junior vs. Senior,” which showcased the feud for its ratings value. The show eventually moved back to Discovery after drawing strong ratings.
“Chopper” was one of the first docu-series on cable, helping to popularize a format that later came to dominate Discovery-owned and other channels.
Meanwhile, in other programming, Showtime has ordered a third season of “Web Therapy,” Lisa Kudrow’s offbeat comedy about an online therapist. Matt Le Blanc will become Kudrow’s latest former “Friends” co-star to guest on the show, following a guest arc by David Schwimmer this season.
And TVLand's "Hot in Cleveland" plans to air a live episode for its season premiere on June 19 at 10 p.m.
Tags: american chopper, american chopper canceled, American Chopper Junior, cable, David Schwimmer, discovery, las vegas, Lisa Kudrow, Matt Le Blanc, Plus Showtime, premiere, programming notes, ratings, season premiere, teutuls, tlc, web therapy
Readers: No C7 during this upfront
USA’s summer lineup: ‘Pains’ and ‘Affairs’
Whoa: Amazon scores HBO Go
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
Scripps upfront: Ellen’s doing cable
‘Bad Teacher,’ not enough to be good
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Saluting Ryan Seacrest, multi-tasker
- GroupM communications director John Wolfe exiting
- Theresa Griggs becomes creative director at Cosmopolitan
- Ryan D’Agostino and David Granger join Popular Mechanics
- Jeanne Fontana becomes health and wellness president at Robb Report
- Christopher Dolan becomes publisher at Muscle & Fitness
- Karen Bonck becomes SVP of branded partnerships at Debmar-Mercury
- Sam Register rises to president at Warner Bros. Animation
- Luis 'El Matador' Hernandez joins Fox Deportes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg hosting NBC's 'SNL'
- Jennifer Garner developing mystery project at Bravo
- 'Bachelorette' contestant Eric Hill dies at age 31
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia