Discovery grounds ‘American Chopper’
November 18, 2012
Another pioneering cable show is leaving the air.
Discovery is chopping “American Chopper” after a 10-year run that saw the Teutuls, a team of father and son motorcycle builders, weather a bitter family feud.
The show will end with a Dec. 11 special airing live from Las Vegas called “The Revenge.”
“Chopper” was once one of Discovery’s top programs, but it was canceled after moving to TLC in 2008 shortly after the Teutuls began their war of words.
In 2010 the show was revived as “American Chopper: Junior vs. Senior,” which showcased the feud for its ratings value. The show eventually moved back to Discovery after drawing strong ratings.
“Chopper” was one of the first docu-series on cable, helping to popularize a format that later came to dominate Discovery-owned and other channels.
Meanwhile, in other programming, Showtime has ordered a third season of “Web Therapy,” Lisa Kudrow’s offbeat comedy about an online therapist. Matt Le Blanc will become Kudrow’s latest former “Friends” co-star to guest on the show, following a guest arc by David Schwimmer this season.
And TVLand's "Hot in Cleveland" plans to air a live episode for its season premiere on June 19 at 10 p.m.
Tags: american chopper, american chopper canceled, American Chopper Junior, cable, David Schwimmer, discovery, las vegas, Lisa Kudrow, Matt Le Blanc, Plus Showtime, premiere, programming notes, ratings, season premiere, teutuls, tlc, web therapy
For May sweeps, a three-way tie
ABC and CBS tie for No. 1 on sweeps’ final night
OMG, teens are so over Facebook
CBS snaps Fox’s eight-year win streak
Twitter increases security measures
Discovery launches online video network
CBS adds another comedy for next season
‘The Office’ series finale a social media hit
‘Hit the Floor,’ no, grab the remote
Rachel, I’m irked. My friend got a raise.
Order up: One freshly made billboard
Best tube bets this weekend
So, how will the upfront shake out?
- Marianne Gambelli becomes chief investment officer at Horizon Media
- Andy Grant becomes associate creative director at CP + B
- Shashi Seth becomes president at Tribune Digital Ventures
- Julie Piepenkotter rises to EVP of research at FX
- Cherie Cohen becomes SVP of cable ad sales at NBCUniversal
- Andrew Leisner rises to motorcycle group publisher at Bonnier
- Dominic Laval becomes director of business development at Capablue
- Paul Barford becomes chief scientist at Broadcast Interactive Media
- Mia Maestro joins FX drama pilot 'The Strain'
- Giuliana Rancic and Nick Jonas hosting NBC's 'Miss USA'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Des Moines
Opening for a director of sponshorship research
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media buyer/search specialist in Los Angeles
Media supervisor position in Kohler, WI