Discovery grounds ‘American Chopper’
November 18, 2012
Another pioneering cable show is leaving the air.
Discovery is chopping “American Chopper” after a 10-year run that saw the Teutuls, a team of father and son motorcycle builders, weather a bitter family feud.
The show will end with a Dec. 11 special airing live from Las Vegas called “The Revenge.”
“Chopper” was once one of Discovery’s top programs, but it was canceled after moving to TLC in 2008 shortly after the Teutuls began their war of words.
In 2010 the show was revived as “American Chopper: Junior vs. Senior,” which showcased the feud for its ratings value. The show eventually moved back to Discovery after drawing strong ratings.
“Chopper” was one of the first docu-series on cable, helping to popularize a format that later came to dominate Discovery-owned and other channels.
Meanwhile, in other programming, Showtime has ordered a third season of “Web Therapy,” Lisa Kudrow’s offbeat comedy about an online therapist. Matt Le Blanc will become Kudrow’s latest former “Friends” co-star to guest on the show, following a guest arc by David Schwimmer this season.
And TVLand's "Hot in Cleveland" plans to air a live episode for its season premiere on June 19 at 10 p.m.
Tags: american chopper, american chopper canceled, American Chopper Junior, cable, David Schwimmer, discovery, las vegas, Lisa Kudrow, Matt Le Blanc, Plus Showtime, premiere, programming notes, ratings, season premiere, teutuls, tlc, web therapy
‘Idol’ fuels Fox past CBS on Thursday
Readers: Expect a record Super Bowl, again
Our rising national obsession with sports
The high cost of ads for the Super Bowl ads
How football stacks up among Hispanics
Rachel, need I go back to school for media?
Weekend TV: The Super Bowl edition
Cable overnights: Another Warriors victory
So-so turnout for ‘Madoff’ miniseries
Sumner Redstone steps down at Viacom, too
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Denver: Bonkers for Broncs’ big game
What’s hot and not for Super Bowl ads
- Ed Castillo becomes global chief strategy officer at Arnold
- Juan Cruz Vassallo becomes associate creative director at the community
- Robert Cappuccino becomes VP of national sales at Foundations Marketing
- Simon White becomes chief strategy officer at FCB West
- Lynn Eastep becomes president at Fathom
- James Bennet becomes president at ASME
- Andrew Edwards becomes director of digital intelligence at Cardinal Path
- Marc Ferrentino becomes EVP of strategy at Yext
- Matt LeBlanc becomes co-host on BBC's 'Top Gear'
- Isabella Rossellini joins the cast of Hulu's 'Shut Eye'
- Seal joins the cast of Fox’s ‘The Passion’
- Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza and Jean Smart join FX’s ‘Legion’
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager