Daddy issues: Cruise sues tabloids
October 25, 2012
Tom Cruise would like America to know that he did not abandon his daughter, and he’s suing to get the word out.
The movie star filed a lawsuit yesterday against Bauer Publishing Company in the United States District Court for the Central District of California in Los Angeles seeking damages for stories that ran in In Touch and Life and Style claiming that he had abandoned his daughter Suri.
Both magazines included cover headlines over the past few months claiming the little girl had been “abandoned” by her father.
Cruise and Suri’s mother, Katie Holmes, divorced earlier this year, and their marital woes have been a huge focus for the tabloids.
Cruise is seeking $50 million in damages. His lawyer says that the stories did not support the cover line claims.
Last year Holmes sued Star for $50 million after it accused her of being a drug addict. The suit was settled out of court, and Star apologized and donated money to a charity designated by Holmes.
FCC spikes the NFL blackout rule
NBC wins premiere week, yet again
New way to measure magazine audiences
Why programmatic ad buying is so hot
The lasting wisdom of John Mack Carter
‘Stalker,’ short on chills, fewer thrills
So, what’s the future for celebrity magazines?
One final tribute to the late Joan Rivers
Facebook’s new ad program Atlas is finally here
Study: Apple dominates the mobile market
‘Red Band’ rebounds with L+3 viewing
Big deal: ‘Tiger’ sequel going straight to Netflix
Heater for Jeter: Last game lifts YES Network
- Gene Paek becomes executive digital director at TDA_Boulder
- Haley Greenwald-Gonella becomes marketing manager at Giant Spoon
- Fox executive director of publicity Josh Governale exits
- Joanna Coles and Donna Kalajian Lagani join Seventeen
- Jayne Jamison, Sue Katzen and Jill Seelig shift roles at Hearst
- Justin Squezello becomes CFO at Magnetic
- John Geehreng becomes senior flame artist at Click 3X
- Kal Penn becomes special correspondent at Fusion
- Angela Kinsey joins TBS's 'Your Family or Mine'
- Josh Holloway joins USA's drama pilot 'Colony'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media assistant position in Boise, Idaho
Online media buyer position in San Francisco
Senior media planner/buyer job in Des Moines
Needed: Inside multimedia sales rep in Mass.
Radio media buyer opening in Orange, California