Daddy issues: Cruise sues tabloids
October 25, 2012
Tom Cruise would like America to know that he did not abandon his daughter, and he’s suing to get the word out.
The movie star filed a lawsuit yesterday against Bauer Publishing Company in the United States District Court for the Central District of California in Los Angeles seeking damages for stories that ran in In Touch and Life and Style claiming that he had abandoned his daughter Suri.
Both magazines included cover headlines over the past few months claiming the little girl had been “abandoned” by her father.
Cruise and Suri’s mother, Katie Holmes, divorced earlier this year, and their marital woes have been a huge focus for the tabloids.
Cruise is seeking $50 million in damages. His lawyer says that the stories did not support the cover line claims.
Last year Holmes sued Star for $50 million after it accused her of being a drug addict. The suit was settled out of court, and Star apologized and donated money to a charity designated by Holmes.
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Real loser in digital ads surge: TV
Millennials barely watch regular TV
‘Wet Hot American Summer,’ better
Rachel, I just got a counter offer. Advice?
Tell us your thoughts on radio
Weekend TV: Degrassi kids graduate
Cable overnights: ‘Dance’ improves slot
Coverup: Cosmo going under wraps
Nielsen examines Jen and Ben and Jen
Study: Tube time really adds up over the years
NBC dominates with ‘Talent’ special
More fallout from botched UVA rape story
- Andrea Gustafson becomes design director at Havas Worldwide
- Tim Dingersen and Morgan Leykam join Reason2Be
- Danielle Maged becomes EVP of partnerships at Fox Networks
- Margaret de Streel rises to international editor at Wall Street Journal
- Arthur Gregg Sulzberger rises to associate editor at The NY Times
- Alex Berkett becomes SVP of corporate development at Viacom
- David O’Connell rises to EVP of production management at NBCU
- John Cook becomes acting executive editor at Gawker
- Vicky Ward and David Bouley join Town & Country
- Scott Nelson becomes head of Viber North America
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta