Daddy issues: Cruise sues tabloids
October 25, 2012
Tom Cruise would like America to know that he did not abandon his daughter, and he’s suing to get the word out.
The movie star filed a lawsuit yesterday against Bauer Publishing Company in the United States District Court for the Central District of California in Los Angeles seeking damages for stories that ran in In Touch and Life and Style claiming that he had abandoned his daughter Suri.
Both magazines included cover headlines over the past few months claiming the little girl had been “abandoned” by her father.
Cruise and Suri’s mother, Katie Holmes, divorced earlier this year, and their marital woes have been a huge focus for the tabloids.
Cruise is seeking $50 million in damages. His lawyer says that the stories did not support the cover line claims.
Last year Holmes sued Star for $50 million after it accused her of being a drug addict. The suit was settled out of court, and Star apologized and donated money to a charity designated by Holmes.
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
Scripps upfront: Ellen’s doing cable
‘Bad Teacher,’ not enough to be good
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Saluting Ryan Seacrest, multi-tasker
Cable overnights: NBA playoffs stay strong
Nielsen: Half of older people have smartphones
CBS’s ‘Mother’ finale shoots up with DVRs
- Jason Lee becomes senior director of digital at MEC
- Kristen Baldwin rises to deputy editor at Entertainment Weekly
- Nancy Cohen becomes SVP of sales and sponsorship at BabyFirst
- VH1 VPs Brad Abramson and Kari McFarland among cuts at the network
- Reuters finance and news media writer Felix Salmon exits
- Steven Petrow becomes advice columnist at The Washington Post
- Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Richard Turley exits
- Susan Kittenplan becomes executive editor of media initiatives at Yahoo
- Keith Cramer becomes VP of business development at MediaAlpha
- Tom Quinn becomes general manager at YieldexDirect for Advertisers
- Craig Zadan and Neil Meron producing ABC's Oscars telecast
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia