Daddy issues: Cruise sues tabloids
October 25, 2012
Tom Cruise would like America to know that he did not abandon his daughter, and he’s suing to get the word out.
The movie star filed a lawsuit yesterday against Bauer Publishing Company in the United States District Court for the Central District of California in Los Angeles seeking damages for stories that ran in In Touch and Life and Style claiming that he had abandoned his daughter Suri.
Both magazines included cover headlines over the past few months claiming the little girl had been “abandoned” by her father.
Cruise and Suri’s mother, Katie Holmes, divorced earlier this year, and their marital woes have been a huge focus for the tabloids.
Cruise is seeking $50 million in damages. His lawyer says that the stories did not support the cover line claims.
Last year Holmes sued Star for $50 million after it accused her of being a drug addict. The suit was settled out of court, and Star apologized and donated money to a charity designated by Holmes.
Comedy Central sets Trevor Noah debut date
Fox wins night as ‘MasterChef’ rebounds
This season’s broadcast superlatives
NBC’s summer play: Mixing it up
It’s a slam dunk for the NBA
‘Nightingale,’ troubled flight of fantasy
Tell us, how do you rate the fall lineups?
For ‘Louie,’ basking in discomfort
Advertisers continue to flee TLC show
Most TVs are connected to the web
ABC and NBC news split the May sweep
Liga MX semifinal scores for Azteca America
Strong return for ‘America’s Got Talent’
- Sherri Goldstein becomes director of integrated strategy at Moonrocks
- Anand Kini becomes CFO at NBCUniversal
- John Verre rises to VP of automotive sales at Cablevision
- Tom Callahan becomes CFO at Reader's Digest Association
- Nicole Flatow becomes enterprise editor at Guardian U.S.
- Chris Connelly becomes interim editor in chief at Grantland
- Sean Lindsay rises to chief technology officer at Tapjoy
- Neil Janowitz becomes editorial director at Vulture.com
- John McCauley becomes VP of content and strategy at OneUp Sports
- Randy Jackson signs production deal with Endemol Shine North America
- Former head of King World Michael King dies at age 66
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Display media planner opening in Chicago
Media planner/buyer opening in Omaha
Assistant media planner wanted in Atlanta
Media buyer wanted in Pittsburgh