Daddy issues: Cruise sues tabloids
October 25, 2012
Tom Cruise would like America to know that he did not abandon his daughter, and he’s suing to get the word out.
The movie star filed a lawsuit yesterday against Bauer Publishing Company in the United States District Court for the Central District of California in Los Angeles seeking damages for stories that ran in In Touch and Life and Style claiming that he had abandoned his daughter Suri.
Both magazines included cover headlines over the past few months claiming the little girl had been “abandoned” by her father.
Cruise and Suri’s mother, Katie Holmes, divorced earlier this year, and their marital woes have been a huge focus for the tabloids.
Cruise is seeking $50 million in damages. His lawyer says that the stories did not support the cover line claims.
Last year Holmes sued Star for $50 million after it accused her of being a drug addict. The suit was settled out of court, and Star apologized and donated money to a charity designated by Holmes.
ABC and Fox tie for first on Thursday
The coming political boom for radio
How papers are reaching out to Millennials
Local Super Bowl advertising at a glance
Rachel, my boss doesn’t know when day’s done
So, what are your thoughts on Donald Trump now?
Weekend TV: The zombies are back
Newsweek tears down its paywall
Maybe it’s not quite time for the smartwatch
Cable overnights: Less excitement for Cavs-Lakers
A tight Wednesday night for broadcast
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Our most endangered medium: Direct mail
- Philippe Krakowsky rises to chairman at IPG Mediabrands
- Rodrigo Grau becomes CCO at JWT Latin America
- Charles Thornton becomes VP of digital at the Automotive Ad Agency
- Todd Eisner becomes creative director at barrettSF
- Sarah Katt becomes VP of product development at AccuWeather
- David Pescovitz becomes editor at large at WebbyAwards.com
- Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join BBC America's 'Top Gear'
- Lee Majors joins Starz' 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'
- Kyle Schmid joins History military drama 'Six'
- Shawn Ashmore joins ABC drama pilot 'Conviction'
- Scott Wilson joins Netflix's 'The OA'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager