Daddy issues: Cruise sues tabloids
October 25, 2012
Tom Cruise would like America to know that he did not abandon his daughter, and he’s suing to get the word out.
The movie star filed a lawsuit yesterday against Bauer Publishing Company in the United States District Court for the Central District of California in Los Angeles seeking damages for stories that ran in In Touch and Life and Style claiming that he had abandoned his daughter Suri.
Both magazines included cover headlines over the past few months claiming the little girl had been “abandoned” by her father.
Cruise and Suri’s mother, Katie Holmes, divorced earlier this year, and their marital woes have been a huge focus for the tabloids.
Cruise is seeking $50 million in damages. His lawyer says that the stories did not support the cover line claims.
Last year Holmes sued Star for $50 million after it accused her of being a drug addict. The suit was settled out of court, and Star apologized and donated money to a charity designated by Holmes.
Another magazine bids farewell to print: Complex
Coming soon from Hearst, Pioneer Woman magazine
New from Google: New York’s holiday windows
Solid but not spectacular numbers for ‘Hairspray’
New from Facebook, a tool testing for fake news
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Cable overnights: Big decline for Leah Remini show
Yet another suitor lines up for Time Inc.
What’s hot and what’s not in syndication this fall
Struggling Pandora unveils its challenge to Spotify
It’s here: Media Life’s Hispanic Premium Newsletter
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
Hot this holiday season: Taraji P. Henson
- ABC ad sales president Geri Wang retiring
- Lydia Polgreen becomes editor at The Huffington Post
- Laura Henderson becomes SVP of marketing at BuzzFeed
- Erin McPherson becomes head of content strategy at Verizon
- Josephine Livingstone becomes culture writer at The New Republic
- Jessica Lichtenfeld becomes associate consultant at Coleman Insights
- Julie Ginches and Glenn Kiladis join ViralGains
- Stephan Horbelt becomes executive editor at Hornet
- Tony Rock hosting TV One's 'The Game of Dating'
- New York Times Vietnam guide Nguyen Ngoc Luong dies at 79
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: August 2016
This month’s new media traffic data
Luxury media sales in Chicago
Public relations account supervisor in Atlanta
SEO and SEM manager opening in Pittsburgh
Media supervisor opening in New York
Media buyer/planner position in Madison, WI