Comcast offering storm victims free wireless
November 1, 2012
Seen those pictures that seem to be all over the web this week of dozens of power-less East Coasters gathering outside local coffee houses to utilize the free internet inside?
Comcast is doing its part to help those Hurricane Sandy victims.
The company is offering free and open access to its Xfinity Wi-Fi hotspots in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine and Washington, D.C., regardless of whether the users are Comcast customers or not.
To access the hot spots on devices users must search for the "xfinitywifi" network and click a link that says "Not a Comcast subscriber?" at the bottom of the sign-in page. Users will then be able to select the option "Complimentary Trial Session."
Users in the affected areas can renew free wireless internet sessions every two hours through Nov. 7.
Comcast has internet hotspots in a variety of locations, including malls, parks, public transit platforms and downtown business districts. The company partners with Cablevision and Time Warner Cable to offer Wi-Fi service to those not in Comcast territories.
Tags: comcast, comcast free wifi, comcast free wireless, Complimentary Trial Session, East Coasters, free wifi, hurricane sandy, internet, sandy, sandy internet access, sandy power outages, Washington, web, Wi Fi, wireless, Xfinity Wi Fi
‘Dome’ rebounds from series low
The internet of things, demystified
Radio ad $ in first half: Flat to last year
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
A local TV station, a national tragedy
New Orleans: Looking back at Katrina
‘Narcos,’ ripping tale of the drug wars
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Boost your media IQ. Sign up here.
Weekend TV: Jammin’ with Miley Cyrus
Survey: Social media ad spending will rise
Cable overnights: Another big night for FNC
The new YouTube Gaming at a glance
- Kyla Jacobs rises to global business development director at TBWA
- Rob FitzGerald becomes U.S. president at We Are Social
- Mandy Graham joins and Maria Smith rises at M&C Saatchi
- David Duncan becomes chief strategy officer at BBDO Minneapolis
- Zan Goodman becomes design director at Chandelier
- Patty Hirsch becomes digital GM for sports at Time Inc.
- Bob Gold becomes SVP of distribution at Poker Central
- Alison Fitzgerald becomes health policy correspondent at NPR
- Baratunde Thurston becomes supervising producer at 'The Daily Show'
- Jim Belushi joins the cast of Fox's pilot "Urban Cowboy'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois