College basketball scores on CBS on Sunday
January 11, 2017
That was the case on Sunday, when CBS’s college basketball coverage benefited from airing after an NFL playoff game.
The network’s telecast of a game between Big Ten foes Wisconsin and Purdue averaged 3.0 million total viewers, according to Nielsen. That was up 236 percent from the comparable date last year. Of course, Sunday’s matchup aired after a Wild Card game between Pittsburgh and Miami, while last year’s game had no NFL lead-in.
Sunday’s basketball game was also up 217 percent in household ratings, from a 0.6 to a 1.9.
That said, the game was up from the last time CBS did air college basketball following an NFL game. That happened in 2015, when a matchup between Kansas and UNLV averaged a 1.6 rating and 2.5 million viewers, according to Sports Media Watch.
The Wisconsin-Purdue game was the second-most-watched college game this season. It trails only the Dec. 17 game between traditional powers Kentucky and North Carolina, which averaged 3.6 million viewers.
In other sports ratings:
– While the College Football Playoff championship game saw declines, the FCS title game had better luck. The game between James Madison and Youngstown State on ESPN2 on Saturday averaged 1.6 million total viewers, up 16 percent from last year’s title game.
ABC and CBS tie for first on Friday night
Michelle Obama boosts NBC’s ‘Tonight Show’
Richard Beckman hops to a new media venture
Hacker hijinks: Station stuck with anti-Trump song
Trump inauguration draws 30.6 million viewers
CBS takes Thursday night with ‘Big Bang Theory’
Puzzling out Carlos Slim’s bold U.S. ambitions
New York leads the Ellie nominations, once again
CBS’s ‘Hunted’: Little hope of sustaining its big bow
Best of the week: On the origins of fake news
In this digital age, the allure of alternative OOH
Digital radio: A primer for media planners and buyers
Weekend TV: ‘Beaches’ for a new generation
- John Deschner becomes chief innovation officer at TBWA
- Tiffany Egan becomes Australia managing director at DWA
- Robert Langer becomes EVP and CFO at Disney|ABC Television
- Jim Fielding becomes president of consumer products at Fox
- Betty Chen and Tyler Massey join IM Global Television
- Nadine Santos rises to director of programming at Music Choice
- Jane Lynch joins the cast of Discovery Channel's 'Manifesto'
- Kristen Stewart hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This month’s digital traffic data: November 2016
This week’s daypart ratings
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York