College basketball scores on CBS on Sunday
January 11, 2017
That was the case on Sunday, when CBS’s college basketball coverage benefited from airing after an NFL playoff game.
The network’s telecast of a game between Big Ten foes Wisconsin and Purdue averaged 3.0 million total viewers, according to Nielsen. That was up 236 percent from the comparable date last year. Of course, Sunday’s matchup aired after a Wild Card game between Pittsburgh and Miami, while last year’s game had no NFL lead-in.
Sunday’s basketball game was also up 217 percent in household ratings, from a 0.6 to a 1.9.
That said, the game was up from the last time CBS did air college basketball following an NFL game. That happened in 2015, when a matchup between Kansas and UNLV averaged a 1.6 rating and 2.5 million viewers, according to Sports Media Watch.
The Wisconsin-Purdue game was the second-most-watched college game this season. It trails only the Dec. 17 game between traditional powers Kentucky and North Carolina, which averaged 3.6 million viewers.
In other sports ratings:
– While the College Football Playoff championship game saw declines, the FCS title game had better luck. The game between James Madison and Youngstown State on ESPN2 on Saturday averaged 1.6 million total viewers, up 16 percent from last year’s title game.
Podcasting comes of age: What’s behind a recent boom
CBS renews a slew of shows, with a few missing
Best of the week: Advertisers revolt against Google
Putting a pricetag on ad fraud: $16.4 billion
Surprise: There’s one area where TV viewing is soaring
Media Life’s Digital Media Transparency Initiative
Weekend TV: Can anyone beat the UConn women?
‘Empire’ rises slightly in its return to lift Fox to first
TV programming blog: All the cancellations and renewals
Well now: Mobile usage is even bigger than you think
CBS, the daytime leader, leads Daytime Emmy nominations
Whoa: Almost a third of Millennials cut the cord
With old NCAA favorites gone, new ones emerge
- Arun Kumar becomes chief data and marketing tech officer at IPG
- Jenny Campbell rises to managing director at 72andSunny
- Adam Crandall becomes director of strategy at mono
- Mark Wildman rises to EVP of partnerships at Westwood One
- Kevin Craig rises to SVP of newspaper relations at AMG/Parade
- Bill Corvalan becomes VP of West Coast partnerships at AllOver Media
- Richard Just becomes editor at The Washington Post Magazine
- Gemma Lawson rises to VP and design director at Nickelodeon
- Ashley Judd joins Epix' 'Berlin Station'
- Former NBC ad sales executive Robert Blackmore dies at age 90
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: December 2016
Ad sales rep for a digital-only magazine
Freelance media planner/buyer available for all markets
Wanted: Media buyer in Philadelphia
Paid social media planner wanted in Detroit
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency