CNN ratings surge in big news month
May 30, 2013
CNN’s reputation as the network to turn to for breaking news was bolstered in May, when the network saw huge ratings gains over last year in primetime.
Though CNN remained a distant second to Fox News Channel in the cable news standings, it finished ahead of rival MSNBC for the second straight month, the first time it’s managed that feat in more than three years.
CNN saw viewership surge 96 percent during May in the key news demo of viewers 25-54, averaging 221,000 viewers, up from record lows at this time last year.
Fox News still led with 301,000, off 6 percent from the same month last year, while MSNBC drew 173,000, down 19 percent. The latter was actually the month’s fourth-ranked network as HLN, boosted by huge interest in its coverage of the Jodi Arias case, placed third behind CNN with 203,000 25-54s, up 90 percent over last year.
It was a big month for news, from the Cleveland kidnappings to the Oklahoma tornadoes. CNN offers more news coverage than the other cable news networks in primetime, including the only live news show at 8 p.m., “Anderson Cooper 360.”
Fox News and MSNBC both have talking head shows in that hour.
Trevor Noah: Good start, for now
Catch the next big wave: Hispanic media
Puck drops on a new NHL season
Cable overnights: New high for ‘MNF’
U.S.-born vs. foreign-born Hispanics
Bad Bubba: A tale of PPM tampering
‘Blindspot’ stays strong in week three
Ravens-Steelers game tops the week on Twitter
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Making the case for Hispanic media
Surprise, Hulu is getting up to speed
Atlanta: It’s a real buyer’s market
‘The Enfield Haunting,’ short on spook
- Mathew Jerrett and Tim Flood becomes ECDs at Arnold Worldwide
- Tish Graham becomes VP of technology at ABC Owned Station Group
- CBS News SVP of communications Sonya McNair exiting
- Brooke Karzen rises to EVP of alternative at Warner Horizon TV
- Associated Press managing editor Lou Ferrara exiting
- Frank Burgos becomes editor in chief at Metro U.S.
- Sarah Wire becomes state congressional reporter at The LA Times
- Kevin Arrix becomes chief revenue officer at Verve
- Elissa Reiling-Gray and Veronica Mendoza join Yieldbot
- Morgan Rigsbee becomes senior director of sales at Tapad
- Neil Robinson becomes chief revenue officer at ROKT
- Wanda Sykes joins the cast of ABC's 'black-ish'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner opening in Seattle
Paid social media planner wanted in McLean, Virginia
Assistant OOH strategist position in New York
Media planner wanted in Philadelphia
Media buyer coordinator opening in New Haven