CNN ratings surge in big news month
May 30, 2013
CNN’s reputation as the network to turn to for breaking news was bolstered in May, when the network saw huge ratings gains over last year in primetime.
Though CNN remained a distant second to Fox News Channel in the cable news standings, it finished ahead of rival MSNBC for the second straight month, the first time it’s managed that feat in more than three years.
CNN saw viewership surge 96 percent during May in the key news demo of viewers 25-54, averaging 221,000 viewers, up from record lows at this time last year.
Fox News still led with 301,000, off 6 percent from the same month last year, while MSNBC drew 173,000, down 19 percent. The latter was actually the month’s fourth-ranked network as HLN, boosted by huge interest in its coverage of the Jodi Arias case, placed third behind CNN with 203,000 25-54s, up 90 percent over last year.
It was a big month for news, from the Cleveland kidnappings to the Oklahoma tornadoes. CNN offers more news coverage than the other cable news networks in primetime, including the only live news show at 8 p.m., “Anderson Cooper 360.”
Fox News and MSNBC both have talking head shows in that hour.
Readers: No C7 during this upfront
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘Relatively Insane,’ totally inane
For NBC’s Thursday, an early close
Cable overnights: New high for ‘Chrisley’
The word: FCC guts net neutrality rules
USA’s summer lineup: ‘Pains’ and ‘Affairs’
Whoa: Amazon scores HBO Go
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
- GroupM communications director John Wolfe exiting
- Theresa Griggs becomes creative director at Cosmopolitan
- Ryan D’Agostino and David Granger join Popular Mechanics
- Jeanne Fontana becomes health and wellness president at Robb Report
- Christopher Dolan becomes publisher at Muscle & Fitness
- Karen Bonck becomes SVP of branded partnerships at Debmar-Mercury
- Sam Register rises to president at Warner Bros. Animation
- Luis 'El Matador' Hernandez joins Fox Deportes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg hosting NBC's 'SNL'
- Jennifer Garner developing mystery project at Bravo
- 'Bachelorette' contestant Eric Hill dies at age 31
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia