CNN ratings surge in big news month
May 30, 2013
CNN’s reputation as the network to turn to for breaking news was bolstered in May, when the network saw huge ratings gains over last year in primetime.
Though CNN remained a distant second to Fox News Channel in the cable news standings, it finished ahead of rival MSNBC for the second straight month, the first time it’s managed that feat in more than three years.
CNN saw viewership surge 96 percent during May in the key news demo of viewers 25-54, averaging 221,000 viewers, up from record lows at this time last year.
Fox News still led with 301,000, off 6 percent from the same month last year, while MSNBC drew 173,000, down 19 percent. The latter was actually the month’s fourth-ranked network as HLN, boosted by huge interest in its coverage of the Jodi Arias case, placed third behind CNN with 203,000 25-54s, up 90 percent over last year.
It was a big month for news, from the Cleveland kidnappings to the Oklahoma tornadoes. CNN offers more news coverage than the other cable news networks in primetime, including the only live news show at 8 p.m., “Anderson Cooper 360.”
Fox News and MSNBC both have talking head shows in that hour.
Another series low for ‘American Idol’
‘Duck’ flies higher after season low
Disney Interactive chops 700 jobs
NBC’s dilemma: Whither ‘Community’?
‘Late Night With Seth Meyers,’ go to bed
Rachel, I’ve been stuck bigtime by co-workers
‘Resurrection,’ it’s got a shot
Tell us, are you happy with your salary?
Best tube bets this weekend
Shocker: Isaiah Washington back on ‘Grey’s’
ABC, CBS and Fox bounce back on Wednesday
RJ Palmer, Varick and TargetCast merge into Assembly
Pew: Pope’s getting good buzz on Twitter
- Heather Sandford becomes digital media manager at Ad Partners
- Martin Mohr becomes creative director at TBWA\Chiat\Day
- Carlos Sanchez becomes EVP and GM at Fox Deportes
- Greg Daniel, Laura Nelson, Saul Rosenberg and Marcy Shinder join Nielsen
- Liz Coddington and Melissa Stein join Adara Global
- Akiba Solomon becomes editorial director at Colorlines
- Matthew Galkin rises to partner at Warrior Poets
- Carlos Hermosillo joins Telemundo's sportscasting team
- Brooke Burke-Charvet guesting on ABC Family's 'Melissa & Joey'
- Gabriel Luna starring in El Rey Network's 'Matador'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior planner/buyer opening in Daytona Beach
Media coordinator job in Anchroage
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media planner/buyer opening in Ancorage
Online marketing media buyer in Camas, Wash.