CNN ratings surge in big news month
May 30, 2013
CNN’s reputation as the network to turn to for breaking news was bolstered in May, when the network saw huge ratings gains over last year in primetime.
Though CNN remained a distant second to Fox News Channel in the cable news standings, it finished ahead of rival MSNBC for the second straight month, the first time it’s managed that feat in more than three years.
CNN saw viewership surge 96 percent during May in the key news demo of viewers 25-54, averaging 221,000 viewers, up from record lows at this time last year.
Fox News still led with 301,000, off 6 percent from the same month last year, while MSNBC drew 173,000, down 19 percent. The latter was actually the month’s fourth-ranked network as HLN, boosted by huge interest in its coverage of the Jodi Arias case, placed third behind CNN with 203,000 25-54s, up 90 percent over last year.
It was a big month for news, from the Cleveland kidnappings to the Oklahoma tornadoes. CNN offers more news coverage than the other cable news networks in primetime, including the only live news show at 8 p.m., “Anderson Cooper 360.”
Fox News and MSNBC both have talking head shows in that hour.
‘Dome’ rebounds from series low
The internet of things, demystified
Radio ad $ in first half: Flat to last year
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
A local TV station, a national tragedy
New Orleans: Looking back at Katrina
‘Narcos,’ ripping tale of the drug wars
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
Boost your media IQ. Sign up here.
Weekend TV: Jammin’ with Miley Cyrus
Survey: Social media ad spending will rise
Cable overnights: Another big night for FNC
The new YouTube Gaming at a glance
- Kyla Jacobs rises to global business development director at TBWA
- Rob FitzGerald becomes U.S. president at We Are Social
- Mandy Graham joins and Maria Smith rises at M&C Saatchi
- David Duncan becomes chief strategy officer at BBDO Minneapolis
- Zan Goodman becomes design director at Chandelier
- Patty Hirsch becomes digital GM for sports at Time Inc.
- Bob Gold becomes SVP of distribution at Poker Central
- Alison Fitzgerald becomes health policy correspondent at NPR
- Baratunde Thurston becomes supervising producer at 'The Daily Show'
- Jim Belushi joins the cast of Fox's pilot "Urban Cowboy'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois