CNN ratings surge in big news month
May 30, 2013
CNN’s reputation as the network to turn to for breaking news was bolstered in May, when the network saw huge ratings gains over last year in primetime.
Though CNN remained a distant second to Fox News Channel in the cable news standings, it finished ahead of rival MSNBC for the second straight month, the first time it’s managed that feat in more than three years.
CNN saw viewership surge 96 percent during May in the key news demo of viewers 25-54, averaging 221,000 viewers, up from record lows at this time last year.
Fox News still led with 301,000, off 6 percent from the same month last year, while MSNBC drew 173,000, down 19 percent. The latter was actually the month’s fourth-ranked network as HLN, boosted by huge interest in its coverage of the Jodi Arias case, placed third behind CNN with 203,000 25-54s, up 90 percent over last year.
It was a big month for news, from the Cleveland kidnappings to the Oklahoma tornadoes. CNN offers more news coverage than the other cable news networks in primetime, including the only live news show at 8 p.m., “Anderson Cooper 360.”
Fox News and MSNBC both have talking head shows in that hour.
NBC’s ‘Sound of Music’ hits a high note
Whoa: No. 1 show in 18-34s is on cable
Twitter takes a shot at retargeting
Media scrambles to cover Mandela’s death
Rethinking media’s compensation model
Want higher ratings? Program holiday music.
‘Bonnie & Clyde,’ shoot-em-up lovers
Rachel, I try so hard. It’s never enough.
‘Modern Family’ gains in syndication
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
Netflix scores another awards first
Best tube bets this weekend
NBC Christmas special soars to seven-year high
- Deirdre Finnegan becomes publisher at EatingWell magazine
- Sam Rosen becomes VP of marketing at The Atlantic
- Eric Schurenberg rises to president at Inc. Magazine
- Nicoletta Santoro becomes creative director at Town&Country
- Claudia Foghini rises to SVP of production strategy at Telemundo
- Leslie Scott rises to digital program director at Entercom
- Todd Porch becomes VP and GM at Comcast Wholesale AdDelivery
- Todd Taplin becomes EVP of global sales at Celtra
- Four join branding firm The Sound Research
- Rick Allen becomes lead race announcer at NBC Sports
- 'Early Start' anchor Zoraida Sambolin exiting CNN
- Ana Jurka becomes on-air personality at Deportes Telemundo
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan
Media operations coordinator job in New York
Media planner opening in Brooklyn
Media planner/buyer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Media buyer position in Hartford, Conn.