CNBC and FBN split on election night
November 9, 2012
There was no presidential mandate when it came to the cable news channels.
In fact, this year was a split decision, marking how much progress Fox Business Network has made in the past four years.
FBN drew 138,000 adults 25-54 for its live election coverage Tuesday night from 7 p.m. to 1 a.m., according to Nielsen, with CNBC a very close second with 136,000.
But in total viewers, CNBC had the edge, averaging 322,000 to FBN’s 284,000.
CNBC’s viewership was down 27 percent from the 2008 election, when FBN was only a year old and not yet measured by Nielsen.
Though certainly some of that was because of viewers switching channels this year to FBN, CNBC was hardly the only network to see declines. Overall this election drew 6 percent fewer viewers on election night than in 2008.
Though CNBC maintains its edge in total viewers during the business day, FBN’s ratings have been creeping up, most notably for well-known hosts like Lou Dobbs, who joined the network last year.
“Lou Dobbs Tonight” posted its most-watched month ever in October, averaging 172,000 viewers.
AFC Championship brings in Hispanic viewers
‘Quantico’ gets a lift in its new Monday slot
This year, a more diverse group of Oscar nominees
NFL playoff games dominate on social media
In age of cord cutting, these cable networks are growing
Voice-first devices: Not quite delivering on the hype
More layoffs at Bergen Record and other Jersey papers
Puzzling out Carlos Slim’s bold U.S. ambitions
Mixed results for the AFC and NFC title games
Coming at you: Media Life’s digital radio series
For PBS, a timely look at the environmental movement
CBS finds its Emmy host: Stephen Colbert
NBC’s ‘The Blacklist’ soars with DVR playback
- Haydn Townsend becomes group CEO at Wunderman
- Samantha DiPippo becomes VP of development at Crown Media
- Lindsay Nelson rises to CMO at Vox Media
- Lea Goldman and Tiffanie Darke become editors in chief at A+E Networks
- Nigel Farage becomes a contributor at Fox News Channel
- Alec Baldwin hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Ray Diaz joins the cast of TV Land's 'Lopez'
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner joins ABC's 'Ten Days in the Valley'
- 'Entertainment Tonight' producer Bonnie Tiegel dies
- Former Village Voice columnist Wayne Barrett dies at 71
- Former journalist William A. Hilliard dies at age 89
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: November 2016
This week’s daypart ratings
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York