Chicago Tribune paywall going up on Nov. 1
October 22, 2012
The Chicago Tribune will duck behind a paywall on Nov. 1, and its terms are arguably less forgiving than the current paywall standard set by The New York Times.
Starting next month, surfers will be able to access five free articles on the site per month before the paywall kicks in, or half the number available to NYT readers.
A subscription will cost $14.99 per month for those who do not subscribe to any print edition of the paper.
Daily print subscribers will have access to the site for free, while subscribers who receive only a few days a week can get the digital subscription for $2 more per week.
The Tribune redesigned its web site in June and began requiring digital registration that collected basic data about readers. It has received more than 230,000 sign-ups since then.
The Tribune joins a growing line of newspapers slipping behind a paywall at a time when their advertising and circulation is in decline. Though paywalls won’t make up for those woes entirely, they’ll give a small boost to the struggling industry.
More than 300 papers are now behind paywalls, according to the site Newspapers & Technology, including The Times and many Lee and MediaNews Group papers.
ABC and Fox tie for first on Thursday
The coming political boom for radio
How papers are reaching out to Millennials
Local Super Bowl advertising at a glance
Rachel, my boss doesn’t know when day’s done
So, what are your thoughts on Donald Trump now?
Weekend TV: The zombies are back
Newsweek tears down its paywall
Maybe it’s not quite time for the smartwatch
Cable overnights: Less excitement for Cavs-Lakers
A tight Wednesday night for broadcast
Programming blog: What’s canceled and renewed
Our most endangered medium: Direct mail
- Philippe Krakowsky rises to chairman at IPG Mediabrands
- Rodrigo Grau becomes CCO at JWT Latin America
- Charles Thornton becomes VP of digital at the Automotive Ad Agency
- Todd Eisner becomes creative director at barrettSF
- Sarah Katt becomes VP of product development at AccuWeather
- David Pescovitz becomes editor at large at WebbyAwards.com
- Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join BBC America's 'Top Gear'
- Lee Majors joins Starz' 'Ash vs. Evil Dead'
- Kyle Schmid joins History military drama 'Six'
- Shawn Ashmore joins ABC drama pilot 'Conviction'
- Scott Wilson joins Netflix's 'The OA'
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital content manager opening in Atlanta
Senior media planner wanted in Des Moines
Media planner/buyer position in Cincinnati
Looking for a media strategist in Cincinnati
Opening for a marketing communications manager