CBS: Super Bowl is almost sold out
November 8, 2012
CBS is on pace to sell out the Super Bowl very early this year, marking the third straight year of high demand for the game.
Yesterday CBS chief executive officer Les Moonves told analysts on an earnings conference call that inventory for the game is nearly sold out.
Some 30-second spots are going for $4 million, Moonves said, up from the $3.5 million that NBC commanded last year.
NBC also moved its ads quickly, with a sell out last fall. CBS is expected to do the same, a change from years ago, when there would always be a handful of ads still available in the weeks before the game.
Advertisers seem to have decided that, despite the exorbitant pricetag, the Super Bowl is worth the splurge because it draws so many viewers.
February’s game drew a record 111.35 million total viewers, the largest audience ever to watch a TV program, according to Nielsen.
Small bump for Thursday ‘Big Brother’
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Real loser in digital ads surge: TV
Millennials barely watch regular TV
‘Wet Hot American Summer,’ better
Rachel, I just got a counter offer. Advice?
Tell us your thoughts on radio
Weekend TV: Degrassi kids graduate
Cable overnights: ‘Dance’ improves slot
Coverup: Cosmo going under wraps
Nielsen examines Jen and Ben and Jen
Study: Tube time really adds up over the years
NBC dominates with ‘Talent’ special
- Andrea Gustafson becomes design director at Havas Worldwide
- Tim Dingersen and Morgan Leykam join Reason2Be
- Danielle Maged becomes EVP of partnerships at Fox Networks
- Margaret de Streel rises to international editor at Wall Street Journal
- Arthur Gregg Sulzberger rises to associate editor at The NY Times
- Alex Berkett becomes SVP of corporate development at Viacom
- David O’Connell rises to EVP of production management at NBCU
- John Cook becomes acting executive editor at Gawker
- Vicky Ward and David Bouley join Town & Country
- Scott Nelson becomes head of Viber North America
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois
Media buyer/planner wanted in Louisville
Assistant media planner opening in Atlanta