CBS: Super Bowl is almost sold out
November 8, 2012
CBS is on pace to sell out the Super Bowl very early this year, marking the third straight year of high demand for the game.
Yesterday CBS chief executive officer Les Moonves told analysts on an earnings conference call that inventory for the game is nearly sold out.
Some 30-second spots are going for $4 million, Moonves said, up from the $3.5 million that NBC commanded last year.
NBC also moved its ads quickly, with a sell out last fall. CBS is expected to do the same, a change from years ago, when there would always be a handful of ads still available in the weeks before the game.
Advertisers seem to have decided that, despite the exorbitant pricetag, the Super Bowl is worth the splurge because it draws so many viewers.
February’s game drew a record 111.35 million total viewers, the largest audience ever to watch a TV program, according to Nielsen.
No new shows have been axed. Why?
Magazines’ one area of hurt: On PCs
‘Death Comes to Pemberley,’ dear Jane
Rachel, I’ve gone years with no raise
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
Best tube bets this weekend
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
There goes ‘Honey Boo Boo?’ Show may be done.
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
Ben Bradlee, in other people’s words
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago