CBS: Super Bowl is almost sold out
November 8, 2012
CBS is on pace to sell out the Super Bowl very early this year, marking the third straight year of high demand for the game.
Yesterday CBS chief executive officer Les Moonves told analysts on an earnings conference call that inventory for the game is nearly sold out.
Some 30-second spots are going for $4 million, Moonves said, up from the $3.5 million that NBC commanded last year.
NBC also moved its ads quickly, with a sell out last fall. CBS is expected to do the same, a change from years ago, when there would always be a handful of ads still available in the weeks before the game.
Advertisers seem to have decided that, despite the exorbitant pricetag, the Super Bowl is worth the splurge because it draws so many viewers.
February’s game drew a record 111.35 million total viewers, the largest audience ever to watch a TV program, according to Nielsen.
Order up: One freshly made billboard
NBC wins penultimate night of sweeps
Final tally: 43 shows get the axe
NBC gallops to Preakness ratings gains
Obie Awards: 42 winners, including 11 golds
ESPN laying off 6 percent of workforce
Bounce upfront: Five new series
Top comedies lead in DVR growth
For ABC, a season-ending surge
Cable’s 10 must-see summer shows
‘Family S.O.S.,’ largely ‘asseptable’
‘Modern Family,’ going out on top
So, how will the upfront shake out?
- Marianne Gambelli becomes chief investment officer at Horizon Media
- Andy Grant becomes associate creative director at CP + B
- Shashi Seth becomes president at Tribune Digital Ventures
- Julie Piepenkotter rises to EVP of research at FX
- Cherie Cohen becomes SVP of cable ad sales at NBCUniversal
- Andrew Leisner rises to motorcycle group publisher at Bonnier
- Dominic Laval becomes director of business development at Capablue
- Paul Barford becomes chief scientist at Broadcast Interactive Media
- Mia Maestro joins FX drama pilot 'The Strain'
- Giuliana Rancic and Nick Jonas hosting NBC's 'Miss USA'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media buyer/search specialist in Los Angeles
Media supervisor position in Kohler, WI
Associate media director in New York
Digital media planner opening in Boston