CBS Sports launching radio network
June 22, 2012
A few weeks ago, NBC Sports announced that it was starting its own radio network, starting slowly with hourly updates, daily features and a few full-length programs.
It seems CBS Sports will enter the field more aggressively.
Yesterday it announced the launch of CBS Sports Radio, a 24-hour, seven-days-a-week venture that will have a presence in nine of the country's top 10 markets upon its debut.
Cumulus Media will syndicate the network, which will be made available on 67 of its stations, giving CBS Sports Radio a big initial footprint.
CBS claims that it will have an audience reach of 10 million at launch.
Cumulus will also be ending its agreement with EPSN with the move, a major change in a sports radio advertising market that's estimated at $150 million annually by Wells Fargo.
"While the sports radio business is currently dominated by ESPN (owned by Disney's ABC Radio), we believe that CBS' new network could garner a significant share of the market as early as 2013," wrote Wells Fargo senior analyst Marci Ryvicker in a note sent to investors yesterday.
Stunner: Univision axes ‘Sabado Gigante’
CBS wins for the third straight night
A la carte, kinda: Verizon’s new deal
Online video’s not getting the ad dollars
May’s most-anticipated sweeps stunts
‘Tatau,’ silliness in the South Pacific
Rachel, I’m thinking of going on my own
Weekend TV: The NBA playoffs tip off
Tell us, which bubble shows will survive?
Tops for OTT: Baltimore & Minneapolis
Veteran ‘Survivor’ finishes No. 1
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Nat Geo Channel upfront: Five new shows
- Matt Baker becomes head of planning at JWT NY
- Kevin Amos and Dan Gbur becomes VPs at Brunner
- Mark Lopez becomes EVP and GM at Univision Digital
- Sara Morris becomes senior director of government affairs at iHeartMedia
- Meggan Crum becomes accessories director at InStyle
- Neil Versel, Thornton McEnery and Kathryn Rubino join Breaking Media
- Anand Subramanian becomes SVP of operations at Synacor
- Christina Cole joins the cast of USA's 'Suits'
- Four join the cast of AMC's upcoming adaptation 'The Night Manager'
- Dave Matthews Band performing on 'Legends on Letterman'
- NY Times reporter and editor Barbara Strauch dies at age 63
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Agency sales opening in Mt. Pleasant, SC
Freelance senior media planner job in Seattle
Digital media planner wanted in Boston
Out-of-home specialist available for all markets
Media planner/buyer job in Raleigh