CBS Sports launching radio network
June 22, 2012
A few weeks ago, NBC Sports announced that it was starting its own radio network, starting slowly with hourly updates, daily features and a few full-length programs.
It seems CBS Sports will enter the field more aggressively.
Yesterday it announced the launch of CBS Sports Radio, a 24-hour, seven-days-a-week venture that will have a presence in nine of the country's top 10 markets upon its debut.
Cumulus Media will syndicate the network, which will be made available on 67 of its stations, giving CBS Sports Radio a big initial footprint.
CBS claims that it will have an audience reach of 10 million at launch.
Cumulus will also be ending its agreement with EPSN with the move, a major change in a sports radio advertising market that's estimated at $150 million annually by Wells Fargo.
"While the sports radio business is currently dominated by ESPN (owned by Disney's ABC Radio), we believe that CBS' new network could garner a significant share of the market as early as 2013," wrote Wells Fargo senior analyst Marci Ryvicker in a note sent to investors yesterday.
The greater significance of ‘Empire’
This year’s big Super Bowl ad trends
Here they are: Buzziest Super Bowl ads
‘Duff Till Dawn,’ don’t bother to stay up
So tell us, who will win Sunday’s Super Bowl?
For ‘Parenthood,’ pulling at the heart
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Liberty’ rebounds
Finally, Super Bowl ads are sold out
Univision picks up rights to Miss Universe
Meredith buys more health titles
GoDaddy yanks controversial Super Bowl ad
CBS’s ‘CSI’ surges to season high Tuesday
State of the Union soars on Twitter
- Bryce McTavish becomes SVP at The Integer Group
- Betsy Fischer Martin becomes contributing editor at More
- Brent Cunningham joins Food & Environment Reporting Network
- Rehan Iqbal and Garen Karnikian rise at True North
- Ari Buchalter and Michael Lamb become co-presidents at MediaMath
- Jacob Chappell becomes VP of sales at SOCi
- Shania Twain starring in ABC concert special
- Jerry Ferrara joins Starz's drama 'Power'
- Nick Jonas joins the cast of Fox's 'Scream Queens'
- Rita Ora performing on ABC's Academy Awards telecast
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Assistant media buyer opening in San Francisco
Digital media buyer job in Minneapolis
Programmatic media planner wanted in New York
Assistant digital media planner job in Dearborn, Michigan
Media planner/buyer position in Baltimore