CBS licenses library content to Hulu
November 6, 2012
CBS, long the only holdout among the Big Four to Hulu distribution, is cracking.
Though the network still isn’t licensing its original shows for rebroadcast on the site, which is jointly owned by Fox parent News Corp., NBCUniversal and ABC parent Disney, the network has signed a deal that will allow Hulu Plus subscribers to stream content from the CBS library.
More than 2,600 shows including “I Love Lucy,” “Medium,” “The Twilight Zone” and “Numb3rs” will be made available to the site’s premium subscribers in January.
It’s the first time that CBS has licensed its content to a site it is not affiliated with, and it could signal changes to come.
Web video has become increasingly popular, and the widespread deployment of it is considered vital to the continued relevance of the broadcast networks.
But CBS has long eschewed invitations to join Hulu, instead preferring to stream its shows through its own site only.
The hottest social network: Instagram
Who’s watching ‘House of Cards,’ anyway?
How kids consume different media
‘American Crime,’ storytelling at its best
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
For ‘The Odd Couple,’ a good fit
Cable overnights: Kentucky win lifts ESPN
The scoop on HBO’s over the top service
Instagram adds clickable links to ads
Fuse upfront: Moving beyond music
Study: Who got the most face time during Oscars
Big surge for NBC’s ‘The Voice’
A much better midseason for Fox
- Katherine Nelson becomes SVP of communications at Syfy
- Pam Thompson becomes executive account director at Food Network Magazine
- Charo Henriquez becomes executive editor at PeopleEnEspanol.com
- Michael D. Gottlieb joins National Journal's Policy Brands Roundtable
- Will Brantley becomes hunting editor at Field & Stream
- Liza Landsman becomes chief customer officer at Jet.com
- Seven rise at digital advertising company Sizmek
- Jason Baadsgaard becomes chief revenue officer at Eyeview
- Michael Hirst signs development deal at A+E Studios
- Four join CBS/TNT's NCAA Tournament coverage
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager