CBS licenses library content to Hulu
November 6, 2012
CBS, long the only holdout among the Big Four to Hulu distribution, is cracking.
Though the network still isn’t licensing its original shows for rebroadcast on the site, which is jointly owned by Fox parent News Corp., NBCUniversal and ABC parent Disney, the network has signed a deal that will allow Hulu Plus subscribers to stream content from the CBS library.
More than 2,600 shows including “I Love Lucy,” “Medium,” “The Twilight Zone” and “Numb3rs” will be made available to the site’s premium subscribers in January.
It’s the first time that CBS has licensed its content to a site it is not affiliated with, and it could signal changes to come.
Web video has become increasingly popular, and the widespread deployment of it is considered vital to the continued relevance of the broadcast networks.
But CBS has long eschewed invitations to join Hulu, instead preferring to stream its shows through its own site only.
Cable overnights: Another MLB record
Fusion lays off 30 two years after launch
Even with decline, ‘Empire’ dominates
Cute: Halloween fun on Realtor.com
Survey: Morale is low at agencies
Rupert really steps in it on Twitter
Actually, ad blocking’s not such a threat
TV Guide has been sold, yet again
Readers: Fallon’s king of late night
‘Fargo,’ different personas, same fun
Tell us what you want from OOH ratings
What radio must do to reinvent itself
For ‘Vampire Diaries,’ a little less bite
- David Kolbusz becomes CCO at Droga5 London
- Andrew Dauska becomes managing director at TBWA\Chiat\Day
- Lisa Zakarin becomes managing director at Publicis Hawkeye
- Kevin Dolak, Seung Lee and Helen Russell join Newsweek
- Karen DeFriez becomes affiliate sales manager at Westwood One
- Dick Costolo joins HBO's 'Silicon Valley' as a consultant
- Lou Diamond Phillips guesting on NBC's 'Blindspot'
- Melanie Liburd joins HBO's 'Game of Thrones'
- 'Sopranos' actor Frank Albanese dies at age 84
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner opening in Seattle
Paid social media planner wanted in McLean, Virginia
Assistant OOH strategist position in New York
Media planner wanted in Philadelphia
Media buyer coordinator opening in New Haven