CBS licenses library content to Hulu
November 6, 2012
CBS, long the only holdout among the Big Four to Hulu distribution, is cracking.
Though the network still isn’t licensing its original shows for rebroadcast on the site, which is jointly owned by Fox parent News Corp., NBCUniversal and ABC parent Disney, the network has signed a deal that will allow Hulu Plus subscribers to stream content from the CBS library.
More than 2,600 shows including “I Love Lucy,” “Medium,” “The Twilight Zone” and “Numb3rs” will be made available to the site’s premium subscribers in January.
It’s the first time that CBS has licensed its content to a site it is not affiliated with, and it could signal changes to come.
Web video has become increasingly popular, and the widespread deployment of it is considered vital to the continued relevance of the broadcast networks.
But CBS has long eschewed invitations to join Hulu, instead preferring to stream its shows through its own site only.
Amazon’s drones are coming! (In India, not U.S.)
Now on music sharing site SoundCloud, advertising
‘Big Brother’ lifts CBS to Wednesday win
A media buyer’s guide to the Emmys
Ferguson kicks up cable news ratings
‘BoJack Horseman,’ amusing even so
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
‘The Simpsons’ again, again, and again
Cable overnights: Comedy reruns top Tuesday
Hearst tries a Millennial magazine in NYC
NBC cancels ‘Working the Engels’
Two chances to see ‘Madam Secretary’
FX renews ‘Strain’ for season two
- Neil Munn rises to global CEO at BBH
- Kim Heneghan joins and Kim Castro rises at U.S. News & World Report
- Patty Adams Martinez, Busra Erkara and Mickey Stanley join Nylon
- Kevin Frazier becomes co-host at 'Entertainment Tonight'
- Rachel Brosnahan joins CBS's 'The Dovekeepers'
- Eva Longoria guesting on Fox's 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine'
- Megan Mullally and Natalie Morales guesting on 'Parks and Recreation'
- Tony Shalhoub joins the cast of Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Emmy-winning animator Liz Holzman dies at age 61
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit
Senior media planner/buyer job in Phoenix
Opening for an associate media director in SF
Media buyer opening in Milwaukee
Manager of media planning job in Dallas