CBS licenses library content to Hulu
November 6, 2012
CBS, long the only holdout among the Big Four to Hulu distribution, is cracking.
Though the network still isn’t licensing its original shows for rebroadcast on the site, which is jointly owned by Fox parent News Corp., NBCUniversal and ABC parent Disney, the network has signed a deal that will allow Hulu Plus subscribers to stream content from the CBS library.
More than 2,600 shows including “I Love Lucy,” “Medium,” “The Twilight Zone” and “Numb3rs” will be made available to the site’s premium subscribers in January.
It’s the first time that CBS has licensed its content to a site it is not affiliated with, and it could signal changes to come.
Web video has become increasingly popular, and the widespread deployment of it is considered vital to the continued relevance of the broadcast networks.
But CBS has long eschewed invitations to join Hulu, instead preferring to stream its shows through its own site only.
Buh-bye, Boo Boo: TLC cancels reality show
‘Thursday Night Football’ goes out on top
No new shows have been axed. Why?
Magazines’ one area of hurt: On PCs
‘Death Comes to Pemberley,’ dear Jane
Rachel, I’ve gone years with no raise
Tell us, what’s your take on Martha Stewart?
Best tube bets this weekend
World Series viewership rises in Game 2
Behind AMC’s decision to buy into BBC America
Final cable upfront tally: Down from last year
FCC: Media mega-mergers are on hold
Competition holds up against World Series
- Matt Herrmann becomes CSO at Pereira & O’Dell
- Jeff Maldavir rises to VP of client services at Millennium Communications
- Peter Lattman rises to deputy business editor at The NY Times
- Boris Gartner becomes chief strategy officer at Fusion
- Paul Greenberg becomes CEO at Nylon Media
- Andrew Horlick rises to VP of sales at Bidtellect
- Courtney Love joins the cast of Fox's 'Empire’
- Steve Coogan replacing late Philip Seymour Hoffman in Showtime's 'Happyish'
- Michelle Trachtenberg guesting on Fox's 'Sleepy Hollow'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media freelancer available for all markets
Media buyer job in Syracuse
Assistant media planner/buyer wanted in Austin
Digital media buyer/planner job in Norcross, Georgia
Associate media planner wanted in Chicago