CBS licenses library content to Hulu
November 6, 2012
CBS, long the only holdout among the Big Four to Hulu distribution, is cracking.
Though the network still isn’t licensing its original shows for rebroadcast on the site, which is jointly owned by Fox parent News Corp., NBCUniversal and ABC parent Disney, the network has signed a deal that will allow Hulu Plus subscribers to stream content from the CBS library.
More than 2,600 shows including “I Love Lucy,” “Medium,” “The Twilight Zone” and “Numb3rs” will be made available to the site’s premium subscribers in January.
It’s the first time that CBS has licensed its content to a site it is not affiliated with, and it could signal changes to come.
Web video has become increasingly popular, and the widespread deployment of it is considered vital to the continued relevance of the broadcast networks.
But CBS has long eschewed invitations to join Hulu, instead preferring to stream its shows through its own site only.
‘Stars’ posts best finale in four seasons
Yet another sweeps victory for NBC
OOH measurement: Where it’s headed
On cable news, wall-to-wall Ferguson
‘Santa Hunters,’ hunt for something else
What will be the big media stories of 2015?
Best tube bets this holiday weekend
Cable overnights: ‘MNF’ takes a hit
Study: Hispanics ahead of the curve for digital
What are your predictions for 2015?
ABC’s ‘Scandal’ wows ‘em on Twitter
Part one of ‘Stars’ finale matches season high
Happy Thanksgiving: What readers are thankful for
- Timothy Mutrie becomes chief strategy officer at Jacob Tyler
- Mark Koelfgen rises to CCO at McGarryBowen
- Paul Shearer becomes Middle East CCO at Ogilvy & Mather
- Matthew Abate becomes ECD at Atmosphere Proximity
- Amy Goldberg and Dan Myers join Starz
- Patti Dennis rises to VP of talent development at Gannett
- Lori Loughlin and Bailee Madison join Hallmark's 'Northpole 2'
- Lenora Crichlow and Spencer Grammer join NBC's 'Mr. Robinson'
- Actor George Eads leaving CBS's 'CSI'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Savvy media buyer needed in Chattanooga
Media planning coordinator wanted in Miami
Digital media planner job in Salt Lake City
Media planner/buyer job in Madison, WI
Needed: Media buyer in Baton Rouge