Buen idea: A Spanish ad in NBA finals
June 26, 2012
Last week LeBron James won his first career NBA championship, which got a ton of attention, but the finals also delivered another first: the first Spanish-language ad during an English-language NBA telecast.
During games four and five of the NBA championship series between the Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder, ABC aired a Spanish-language ad from Ford for its 2013 Escape, a first for Ford, ABC and the NBA.
Targeting Hispanic viewers on English-language TV made perfect sense–the first three games of the Finals on ABC averaged 2.03 million Hispanic viewers, according to Nielsen, and the games finished as the top three English programs among Hispanics during the week ended June 17 (numbers for games four and five will be released today).
By comparison, the No. 4 English program among Hispanics that week was NBC's "America's Got Talent," which averaged 692,000 Hispanic viewers.
The NBA says the first three games of the series were up 20 percent versus last year among Hispanic households.
Miami-Fort Lauderdale is the nation's No. 3 market for Hispanic TV households, behind Los Angeles and New York. Just over 5 percent of the country's Hispanic TV households are in the market.
The ad ran with English subtitles.
Readers: No C7 during this upfront
USA’s summer lineup: ‘Pains’ and ‘Affairs’
Whoa: Amazon scores HBO Go
Fact: We now use the web more than TV
So tell us, which network will win May sweeps?
‘About a Boy’ grows for second straight week
Coulson: I did not participate in a cover-up
May’s five biggest sweeps stunts
‘Scandal,’ from bubble to breakout
Scripps upfront: Ellen’s doing cable
‘Bad Teacher,’ not enough to be good
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Saluting Ryan Seacrest, multi-tasker
- GroupM communications director John Wolfe exiting
- Theresa Griggs becomes creative director at Cosmopolitan
- Ryan D’Agostino and David Granger join Popular Mechanics
- Jeanne Fontana becomes health and wellness president at Robb Report
- Christopher Dolan becomes publisher at Muscle & Fitness
- Karen Bonck becomes SVP of branded partnerships at Debmar-Mercury
- Sam Register rises to president at Warner Bros. Animation
- Luis 'El Matador' Hernandez joins Fox Deportes
- Charlize Theron and Andy Samberg hosting NBC's 'SNL'
- Jennifer Garner developing mystery project at Bravo
- 'Bachelorette' contestant Eric Hill dies at age 31
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Senior digital media planner job in L.A.
Media planner position in Dallas
Needed: Senior digital media buyer and planner
Expert marketing consultant available in all markets
Media buyer/planner job in Philadelphia