Buen idea: A Spanish ad in NBA finals
June 26, 2012
Last week LeBron James won his first career NBA championship, which got a ton of attention, but the finals also delivered another first: the first Spanish-language ad during an English-language NBA telecast.
During games four and five of the NBA championship series between the Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder, ABC aired a Spanish-language ad from Ford for its 2013 Escape, a first for Ford, ABC and the NBA.
Targeting Hispanic viewers on English-language TV made perfect sense–the first three games of the Finals on ABC averaged 2.03 million Hispanic viewers, according to Nielsen, and the games finished as the top three English programs among Hispanics during the week ended June 17 (numbers for games four and five will be released today).
By comparison, the No. 4 English program among Hispanics that week was NBC's "America's Got Talent," which averaged 692,000 Hispanic viewers.
The NBA says the first three games of the series were up 20 percent versus last year among Hispanic households.
Miami-Fort Lauderdale is the nation's No. 3 market for Hispanic TV households, behind Los Angeles and New York. Just over 5 percent of the country's Hispanic TV households are in the market.
The ad ran with English subtitles.
The scoop on HBO’s over the top service
Instagram adds clickable links to ads
Fuse upfront: Moving beyond music
The hottest social network: Instagram
Study: Who got the most face time during Oscars
Big surge for NBC’s ‘The Voice’
A much better midseason for Fox
For Bill O’Reilly, steady through it all
Real identity of naked Buckingham guy
‘Dig,’ off we go to Armageddon, again
Tell us your thoughts on Hispanic media
When is a spinoff one too many?
Media buyers to Nielsen: Changes, please
- Katherine Nelson becomes SVP of communications at Syfy
- Pam Thompson becomes executive account director at Food Network Magazine
- Charo Henriquez becomes executive editor at PeopleEnEspanol.com
- Michael D. Gottlieb joins National Journal's Policy Brands Roundtable
- Will Brantley becomes hunting editor at Field & Stream
- Liza Landsman becomes chief customer officer at Jet.com
- Seven rise at digital advertising company Sizmek
- Jason Baadsgaard becomes chief revenue officer at Eyeview
- Michael Hirst signs development deal at A+E Studios
- Four join CBS/TNT's NCAA Tournament coverage
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager