Buen idea: A Spanish ad in NBA finals
June 26, 2012
Last week LeBron James won his first career NBA championship, which got a ton of attention, but the finals also delivered another first: the first Spanish-language ad during an English-language NBA telecast.
During games four and five of the NBA championship series between the Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder, ABC aired a Spanish-language ad from Ford for its 2013 Escape, a first for Ford, ABC and the NBA.
Targeting Hispanic viewers on English-language TV made perfect sense–the first three games of the Finals on ABC averaged 2.03 million Hispanic viewers, according to Nielsen, and the games finished as the top three English programs among Hispanics during the week ended June 17 (numbers for games four and five will be released today).
By comparison, the No. 4 English program among Hispanics that week was NBC's "America's Got Talent," which averaged 692,000 Hispanic viewers.
The NBA says the first three games of the series were up 20 percent versus last year among Hispanic households.
Miami-Fort Lauderdale is the nation's No. 3 market for Hispanic TV households, behind Los Angeles and New York. Just over 5 percent of the country's Hispanic TV households are in the market.
The ad ran with English subtitles.
ABC’s ‘S.H.I.E.L.D.’ grows in later timeslot
A stunt that goes over the rainbow
New from Kantar, a programmatic buying tool
ABC slips ahead of NBC in nightly news
Behind the coming changes in the upfront
Poor MTV: Hot on Twitter, less so on TV
‘Real History of Science Fiction,’ fun
Tell us, what’s your forecast for the upfront?
Pucker up: It’s NHL playoff time
CBS on Chelsea Handler: Not gonna happen
Yet another big social network acquisition
Starting today, a new paper for LA
Big events spark huge Twitter buzz
- Paul Longo becomes managing director at Accordant Media
- Kristy Kneiding becomes public relations manager at Cord Media
- Marc d'Avignon and Jay Berry become ECDs at Translation
- Courteney Monroe rises to CEO at National Geographic Channels
- Rita Mullin rises to general manager at Science Channel
- Alan Chartrand becomes Boston market president at Clear Channel
- John Wattiker rises to international fashion manager at Esquire
- Raj Choudhury becomes chief executive at BLiNQ Media
- Jason Shulman becomes SVP of sales at Vdopia
- ABC Entertainment president Paul Lee signs new deal
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
Media planner/buyer opening in Austin
Online media buyer position in Provo, Utah
Digital media planner/buyer job in Minneapolis
Senior media planner job in Dallas/Fort Worth
Media buyer/planner wanted in Scottsdale, Ariz.