Buen idea: A Spanish ad in NBA finals
June 26, 2012
Last week LeBron James won his first career NBA championship, which got a ton of attention, but the finals also delivered another first: the first Spanish-language ad during an English-language NBA telecast.
During games four and five of the NBA championship series between the Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder, ABC aired a Spanish-language ad from Ford for its 2013 Escape, a first for Ford, ABC and the NBA.
Targeting Hispanic viewers on English-language TV made perfect sense–the first three games of the Finals on ABC averaged 2.03 million Hispanic viewers, according to Nielsen, and the games finished as the top three English programs among Hispanics during the week ended June 17 (numbers for games four and five will be released today).
By comparison, the No. 4 English program among Hispanics that week was NBC's "America's Got Talent," which averaged 692,000 Hispanic viewers.
The NBA says the first three games of the series were up 20 percent versus last year among Hispanic households.
Miami-Fort Lauderdale is the nation's No. 3 market for Hispanic TV households, behind Los Angeles and New York. Just over 5 percent of the country's Hispanic TV households are in the market.
The ad ran with English subtitles.
NBC’s ‘Voice’ dominates another Tuesday night
NBC wins premiere week, yet again
A promising postseason for MLB
Here it is, big talk on Advertising Week
‘Bad Judge,’ just all around way bad
So, what’s the future for celebrity magazines?
On ‘Minds,’ new face for an aging show
FCC spikes the NFL blackout rule
Cable overnights: ‘MNF’ grows in 18-49s
FX and FXX pick up new comedies
A record gain in L+3 for ABC’s ‘Murder’
New dramas hold up on Monday night
ABC’s ‘Scandal’ premiere sizzles on Twitter
- Robert Hannan and Mark Mylan rise at Carat USA
- Frances Berwick rises to president of lifestyle networks at NBCU
- Ben Price and Simon Robinson rise at Discovery Communications
- Mari Ghuneim and Daniel Manu join truTV
- Eddie Dalva rises to EVP of content at Viacom Entertainment
- Bennett Fogel rises to EVP and CRO at NCM Media Networks
- Justin Schaflander and Jason Mosher rise at iHeartMedia
- Scott Brady becomes VP of sales and analytics at StartApp
- Bruce Robertson rises to EVP at ITV Studios America
- Kris Van Cleave becomes a correspondent at CBS Newspath
- Claudio 'El Emperador' Suarez becomes an analyst at Fox Deportes
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer job in Los Angeles
Media assistant position in Boise, Idaho
Online media buyer position in San Francisco
Senior media planner/buyer job in Des Moines
Needed: Inside multimedia sales rep in Mass.