Buen idea: A Spanish ad in NBA finals
June 26, 2012
Last week LeBron James won his first career NBA championship, which got a ton of attention, but the finals also delivered another first: the first Spanish-language ad during an English-language NBA telecast.
During games four and five of the NBA championship series between the Miami Heat and Oklahoma City Thunder, ABC aired a Spanish-language ad from Ford for its 2013 Escape, a first for Ford, ABC and the NBA.
Targeting Hispanic viewers on English-language TV made perfect sense–the first three games of the Finals on ABC averaged 2.03 million Hispanic viewers, according to Nielsen, and the games finished as the top three English programs among Hispanics during the week ended June 17 (numbers for games four and five will be released today).
By comparison, the No. 4 English program among Hispanics that week was NBC's "America's Got Talent," which averaged 692,000 Hispanic viewers.
The NBA says the first three games of the series were up 20 percent versus last year among Hispanic households.
Miami-Fort Lauderdale is the nation's No. 3 market for Hispanic TV households, behind Los Angeles and New York. Just over 5 percent of the country's Hispanic TV households are in the market.
The ad ran with English subtitles.
‘Duck’ flies higher after season low
Disney Interactive chops 700 jobs
NBC’s dilemma: Whither ‘Community’?
‘Late Night With Seth Meyers,’ go to bed
Rachel, I’ve been stuck bigtime by co-workers
‘Resurrection,’ it’s got a shot
Tell us, are you happy with your salary?
Best tube bets this weekend
Shocker: Isaiah Washington back on ‘Grey’s’
ABC, CBS and Fox bounce back on Wednesday
RJ Palmer, Varick and TargetCast merge into Assembly
Pew: Pope’s getting good buzz on Twitter
How much is new media encroaching on old?
- Heather Sandford becomes digital media manager at Ad Partners
- Martin Mohr becomes creative director at TBWA\Chiat\Day
- Carlos Sanchez becomes EVP and GM at Fox Deportes
- Greg Daniel, Laura Nelson, Saul Rosenberg and Marcy Shinder join Nielsen
- Liz Coddington and Melissa Stein join Adara Global
- Akiba Solomon becomes editorial director at Colorlines
- Matthew Galkin rises to partner at Warrior Poets
- Carlos Hermosillo joins Telemundo's sportscasting team
- Brooke Burke-Charvet guesting on ABC Family's 'Melissa & Joey'
- Gabriel Luna starring in El Rey Network's 'Matador'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior planner/buyer opening in Daytona Beach
Media coordinator job in Anchroage
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media planner/buyer opening in Ancorage
Online marketing media buyer in Camas, Wash.