As the year ends, Rachel reminisces
Our career columnist recounts her 10 favorite columns
December 14, 2012
Dear Media Life readers,
As the holidays approach, I always get in a nostalgic mood. I review my columns from the past year, pondering the advice I’ve given and contacting those who’ve reached out to me to see how their situations turned out.
I’m happy to report that many are in a better place than they were when they sought my advice. Some are even in new jobs, which is certainly something to celebrate as the new year draws near.
In the spirit of that nostalgia, I’ve compiled a list of my 10 favorite “Rachel Speaks” columns over the years, dating all the way back to its launch in 2004.
I hope you enjoy reading them over as much as I enjoyed compiling them and remembering all the wonderful folks who’ve reached out over the years.
Happy holidays to you and your families.
‘American Idol’ finale takes a big dive
CBS upfront analysis: Cruising at full speed
ESPN snags U.S. Open rights away from CBS
NBC: We’re seeing record Olympics ad sales
CW upfront leftovers: Comedy in the wings
Carell returns for ‘The Office’ finale
For the CW, changes on every night
‘Does Someone Have to Go?,’ yikes
For USA, a new focus on laughs
Imagine, a crowdfunded newspaper
Best tube bets this weekend
So, how will the upfront shake out?
Fox wins night but part one of ‘Idol’ finale fades
- Chris Newport and Soyoung Kim join Billups Worldwide
- Melanie Hughes becomes EVP of human resources at Tribune
- Ben Widdicombe becomes contributing editor at The New York Observer
- Jennifer Lopez becomes CCO at NUVOtv
- Jason Shafton becomes VP of brand marketing at Comedy Central
- Clifford S. Harris rises to SVP of law and programming at Cablevision
- Steve Sinicropi becomes VP and market manager at Entercom
- Bob Pares becomes EVP of sales development at NewMediaMetrics
- Matthew Zeitlin becomes economics and finance reporter at BuzzFeed
- Nick Cannon leaving his syndicated radio show
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Associate media director in New York
Digital media planner opening in Boston
Assistant media planner in Jacksonville, Fla.
Digital media specialist job in Austin
Opening: New business director for West Coast