As the year ends, Rachel reminisces
Our career columnist recounts her 10 favorite columns
December 14, 2012
Dear Media Life readers,
As the holidays approach, I always get in a nostalgic mood. I review my columns from the past year, pondering the advice I’ve given and contacting those who’ve reached out to me to see how their situations turned out.
I’m happy to report that many are in a better place than they were when they sought my advice. Some are even in new jobs, which is certainly something to celebrate as the new year draws near.
In the spirit of that nostalgia, I’ve compiled a list of my 10 favorite “Rachel Speaks” columns over the years, dating all the way back to its launch in 2004.
I hope you enjoy reading them over as much as I enjoyed compiling them and remembering all the wonderful folks who’ve reached out over the years.
Happy holidays to you and your families.
Nikki Finke may have a new purpose in 2015
Tell us, what was the big story of 2014?
Facebook: ‘Thrones’ was the year’s top show
Final tally: 190 new magazines launched in 2014
No duPont Awards for broadcast networks
Sony: We’ll be releasing ‘The Interview.’ Really.
The year that was: 2014 by the numbers
An up and down year for broadcast
The buzziest new cable shows of 2015
Our OOH outlook: More connectivity
Our newspaper outlook: Not good
Our magazine outlook: More upheaval
The ad outlook for 2015: Pretty decent
- Helen Prokos becomes group creative director at Publicis Hawkeye
- James Florez becomes Dallas GM at Allison+Partners
- Robyn Hurd, Michael Oesterlin and Lorenzo Bertolotti join A+E
- Nate Lanxon becomes senior editor at Bloomberg Media
- Marian Bull becomes associate digital editor at Saveur
- Byron Pitts becomes co-anchor at ABC's 'Nightline'
- Annie Wersching joins CW's 'The Vampire Diaries'
- Daniel Wu joins the cast of AMC's 'Badlands'
- Ashley Tisdale guesting on ABC Family's 'Young & Hungry'
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer opening in Memphis
Media planner/buyer wanted in Boston
Needed: Digital media coordinator in Roswell, Ga.
Media buyer/digital strategist job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Broadcast media buyer wanted in Denver