Another record quarter for online ads
January 2, 2013
No big surprise that internet advertising revenue set yet another record during third quarter of last year.
What’s interesting is that online is now earning more than $9 billion per quarter, roughly three times what it was pulling in just seven years ago.
Ad revenue hit an all-time record $9.26 billion during third quarter, according to the Interactive Advertising Bureau, up 6 percent over second quarter of last year, when $8.72 billion was spent.
It was also up 18 percent year-to-year, from $7.8 billion.
That should lead into another record quarter to end the year, as fourth quarter spending is traditionally high, with advertisers trying to reach consumers for holiday sales.
Though this year’s holiday sales weren’t nearly as strong as retailers had hoped, many more did use the internet to advertise them, both because of the continued gains in online usage and because TV, the most popular retail medium, was tight due to the president election.
Tags: ad spending, ads, consumers, holiday, iab, interactive advertising bureau, internet, internet ad spending, online, online ad spending, online ad spending record, online ads, online spending, retail, tv
A night of ups and downs for broadcast
Two more summer shows get the axe
St. Louis: Picking up after a slow start
‘Married,’ funny, yes. Deep? No.
So, what’s your take on Fox-Time Warner?
For Fox, extra helpings of chef Ramsay
No ‘Jump of the Century’ after all
Cable overnights: ‘Rizzoli’ rises in 18-49s
A college radio fundraiser gone awry
Won’t you help Jon Stewart buy CNN?
Huge management shakeup at Conde Nast
Lukewarm debut for NBC’s ‘Food Fighters’
This summer’s winners and losers
- Shoshana Winter becomes executive planning director at mcgarrybowen
- Danna Castiglia rises to VP of business development at CBS News
- Tim Pastore becomes programming president at National Geographic Channel
- Bill Cox and Walter Naar join Grit and Escape
- Nick Catucci becomes features editor at Billboard
- Paul Cushman becomes chief revenue officer at Dstillery
- Michelle Fairley joins the cast of ABC's 'Resurrection'
- Shemar Moore returning to CBS's 'Young and the Restless'
- Lucy Lawless joins ABC's 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'
- Cast of 'Orange is the New Black' guesting on TBS's 'Conan'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner position in Austin
Media planning supervisor job in New York
Digital media planner opening in Chicago
Assistant media buyer job in Iowa City
Media strategist position in Stamford