Another record quarter for online ads
January 2, 2013
No big surprise that internet advertising revenue set yet another record during third quarter of last year.
What’s interesting is that online is now earning more than $9 billion per quarter, roughly three times what it was pulling in just seven years ago.
Ad revenue hit an all-time record $9.26 billion during third quarter, according to the Interactive Advertising Bureau, up 6 percent over second quarter of last year, when $8.72 billion was spent.
It was also up 18 percent year-to-year, from $7.8 billion.
That should lead into another record quarter to end the year, as fourth quarter spending is traditionally high, with advertisers trying to reach consumers for holiday sales.
Though this year’s holiday sales weren’t nearly as strong as retailers had hoped, many more did use the internet to advertise them, both because of the continued gains in online usage and because TV, the most popular retail medium, was tight due to the president election.
Tags: ad spending, ads, consumers, holiday, iab, interactive advertising bureau, internet, internet ad spending, online, online ad spending, online ad spending record, online ads, online spending, retail, tv
For May sweeps, a three-way tie
ABC and CBS tie for No. 1 on sweeps’ final night
OMG, teens are so over Facebook
CBS snaps Fox’s eight-year win streak
Twitter increases security measures
Discovery launches online video network
CBS adds another comedy for next season
‘The Office’ series finale a social media hit
‘Hit the Floor,’ no, grab the remote
Rachel, I’m irked. My friend got a raise.
Order up: One freshly made billboard
Best tube bets this weekend
So, how will the upfront shake out?
- Marianne Gambelli becomes chief investment officer at Horizon Media
- Andy Grant becomes associate creative director at CP + B
- Shashi Seth becomes president at Tribune Digital Ventures
- Julie Piepenkotter rises to EVP of research at FX
- Cherie Cohen becomes SVP of cable ad sales at NBCUniversal
- Andrew Leisner rises to motorcycle group publisher at Bonnier
- Dominic Laval becomes director of business development at Capablue
- Paul Barford becomes chief scientist at Broadcast Interactive Media
- Mia Maestro joins FX drama pilot 'The Strain'
- Giuliana Rancic and Nick Jonas hosting NBC's 'Miss USA'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Des Moines
Opening for a director of sponshorship research
Media planner opening in San Francisco
Media buyer/search specialist in Los Angeles
Media supervisor position in Kohler, WI