Another record quarter for online ads
January 2, 2013
No big surprise that internet advertising revenue set yet another record during third quarter of last year.
What’s interesting is that online is now earning more than $9 billion per quarter, roughly three times what it was pulling in just seven years ago.
Ad revenue hit an all-time record $9.26 billion during third quarter, according to the Interactive Advertising Bureau, up 6 percent over second quarter of last year, when $8.72 billion was spent.
It was also up 18 percent year-to-year, from $7.8 billion.
That should lead into another record quarter to end the year, as fourth quarter spending is traditionally high, with advertisers trying to reach consumers for holiday sales.
Though this year’s holiday sales weren’t nearly as strong as retailers had hoped, many more did use the internet to advertise them, both because of the continued gains in online usage and because TV, the most popular retail medium, was tight due to the president election.
Tags: ad spending, ads, consumers, holiday, iab, interactive advertising bureau, internet, internet ad spending, online, online ad spending, online ad spending record, online ads, online spending, retail, tv
Cable overnights: ‘Sons of Anarchy’ stays No. 1
Study: TV still dominates video time
There she is (on Twitter), Miss America
For Fox, some rougher times ahead
Jon Swallen on changes in the media economy
Networks to media: DVRs are really, really important
Big jump for penultimate ‘America’s Got Talent’
A bit of advertiser backlash for the NFL
Limp second quarter for ad spending
NBC locks up another summer victory
That final-season surge for ‘Sons’
‘Mysteries of Laura,’ the allure of Debra
For ‘Extant,’ the blastoff that didn’t
- Guy Vidra becomes CEO at The New Republic
- Tim O’Connor becomes corporate sales managing director at Meredith
- Molly Battles becomes men's group PR manager at Bonnier
- Caleb Weinstein becomes EVP of affiliate distribution at Fox International
- Donny Hudson becomes EVP of sales at America CV
- Jodi Lipe becomes SVP of marketing at Ovation
- Ari Osur becomes VP of product marketing at Simulmedia
- Patrick Jager becomes EVP and CEO at Everwise/Banner Media
- Bill Hader hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Mark Feuerstein joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'
- Gloria Steinem guesting on CBS's 'The Good Wife'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Job for media buyer/planner with DC PR agency
Programmatic media buyer job in York, Pennsylvania
Media buyer opening in Las Vegas
Immediate opening for a media buyer/planner
Opening for a chief experiential officer