Al Jazeera America eyeing August launch
June 12, 2013
Current TV will switch to Al Jazeera America in August, months after the surprising sale of the Al Gore-co-founded network.
The switch will happen the week of Aug. 24, according to reports out yesterday, and the network has two new shows slated to launch that week, including nightly newsmagazine “America Tonight,” which will air at 9 p.m.
“Real Money” will take the nightly 7 p.m. slot. The channel will also launch a morning program without the usual fluff of such shows.
The channel has yet to name a president as the launch nears.
Meanwhile, in other programming, “Oprah’s Master Class” will feature Berry Gordy and Diahann Carroll in back-to-back episodes airing Sunday at 9 and 10 p.m. on the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Lifetime’s “Supermarket Superstar,” hosted by Stacy Keibler, will launch July 22 at 10 p.m.
National Geographic Channel’s “Battleground Afghanistan,” which shows the war through American Marines’ eyes, will bow July 1 at 9 p.m., followed by “Eyewitness War” at 10 p.m.
WeTV has renewed “Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?” for a fourth season and “Tamar & Vince” for a second season.
And DirecTV has ordered thriller “Rogue,” to debut next year.
A look at summer’s new hits and misses
Pandora: We’re going advertising-free
Big news: Amazon videos going offline
‘Ninja Warrior’ ties a three-year high
A shift for the ‘Video Music Awards’
Want to reach Hispanics? Try mobile ads.
MTV’s VMAs set a Twitter TV record
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Summer’s top shows among Millennials
The future of agencies: Mining for data
Denver: TV and radio spending are flat
‘Hand of God,’ off to parts unknown
Boost your media IQ. Sign up here.
- Dan Donovan becomes ECD at McCann New York
- Devin Reiter becomes Crispin Porter + Bogusky managing director in Boulder
- Alvaro Cabrera becomes chief strategy officer at DigitasLBi
- Roy Torres becomes creative director at 22squared
- Sarah McNaughton becomes site director at new Dr. Oz site
- David Woolfson and Michael Benowitz become SVPs at Screenvision
- Lindsay Sloane becomes EVP of production at MGM Television
- 'The View' executive producer Bill Wolff exiting
- Scott Van Pelt hosting midnight edition of 'SportsCenter'
- Alex Morgan and Chris Paul appearing on Disney XD's 'Becoming'
- Tom Selleck starring in new 'Jesse Stone' movie at Hallmark Channel
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois