Al Jazeera America eyeing August launch
June 12, 2013
Current TV will switch to Al Jazeera America in August, months after the surprising sale of the Al Gore-co-founded network.
The switch will happen the week of Aug. 24, according to reports out yesterday, and the network has two new shows slated to launch that week, including nightly newsmagazine “America Tonight,” which will air at 9 p.m.
“Real Money” will take the nightly 7 p.m. slot. The channel will also launch a morning program without the usual fluff of such shows.
The channel has yet to name a president as the launch nears.
Meanwhile, in other programming, “Oprah’s Master Class” will feature Berry Gordy and Diahann Carroll in back-to-back episodes airing Sunday at 9 and 10 p.m. on the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Lifetime’s “Supermarket Superstar,” hosted by Stacy Keibler, will launch July 22 at 10 p.m.
National Geographic Channel’s “Battleground Afghanistan,” which shows the war through American Marines’ eyes, will bow July 1 at 9 p.m., followed by “Eyewitness War” at 10 p.m.
WeTV has renewed “Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?” for a fourth season and “Tamar & Vince” for a second season.
And DirecTV has ordered thriller “Rogue,” to debut next year.
Fox’s ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ rebounds
Suddenly scripted series are the rage
Why TV is relying less on advertising
‘Houdini,’ here’s something to get out of
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
Best tube bets this weekend
Little League World Series hits a home run
OOH spending grows, but more slowly
Cable overnights: ‘Chelsea’ goes out with a bang
NBC News president ruffles employees’ feathers
NBC wins Tuesday with growing reality shows
Fox head of sales Jean Rossi is leaving
Forecast: A good but not great 2014
- Colin Barlow rises to COO at GroupM Global
- Three rise in production and development at TLC
- Jonathan Stern becomes head of business development at Fusion
- Hunter Lewis becomes editor at Cooking Light
- Christian Baesler becomes president at Bauer Xcel Media
- Kent Ebersole becomes VP and GM at Active Interest Media
- Terry Duffy rises to group publisher at Palm Beach Media Group
- Chris Lencheski becomes head of sales at Back9Network
- Kei Huang becomes director of analytics at Keek
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren guesting on CBS's 'The Late Show'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer/planner job in Rochester
Needed: Receptionist for a media agency
Media buyer position in Greenville, SC
Digital media analyst job in Greenville, SC
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit