Al Jazeera America eyeing August launch
June 12, 2013
Current TV will switch to Al Jazeera America in August, months after the surprising sale of the Al Gore-co-founded network.
The switch will happen the week of Aug. 24, according to reports out yesterday, and the network has two new shows slated to launch that week, including nightly newsmagazine “America Tonight,” which will air at 9 p.m.
“Real Money” will take the nightly 7 p.m. slot. The channel will also launch a morning program without the usual fluff of such shows.
The channel has yet to name a president as the launch nears.
Meanwhile, in other programming, “Oprah’s Master Class” will feature Berry Gordy and Diahann Carroll in back-to-back episodes airing Sunday at 9 and 10 p.m. on the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Lifetime’s “Supermarket Superstar,” hosted by Stacy Keibler, will launch July 22 at 10 p.m.
National Geographic Channel’s “Battleground Afghanistan,” which shows the war through American Marines’ eyes, will bow July 1 at 9 p.m., followed by “Eyewitness War” at 10 p.m.
WeTV has renewed “Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?” for a fourth season and “Tamar & Vince” for a second season.
And DirecTV has ordered thriller “Rogue,” to debut next year.
NBC renews new comedy ‘Undateable’
Big changes at Fox Business Network
Authorities: Woman pulls gun on Comcast worker
Love Snapchat? How Northeastern of you.
‘Sharknado 2′ becomes a monster hit
Yet another spinoff for newspaper industry
Phoenix: TV is hot and getting hotter
‘Extant’ holds steady in new later timeslot
Cable’s winners and losers in July
Great art everywhere you look around
‘The Quest,’ off to the dungeon, knave
Yay! Boo! It’s the CrossFit Games.
Katie Couric signs off from syndication
- Carol Lombard becomes VP of integrated production at INNOCEAN USA
- Renee Peterson becomes VP of HR at Hearst Newspapers
- Melissa Drucker rises to SVP of TV sales at BBC America
- Rob Glaser rises to CEO at RealNetworks
- Tim Boell becomes VP of distribution at Outdoor Channel
- Julie Meisner Eagle becomes VP of production at Discovery Life Channel
- Josh Rubin and Allen Weiner join The Daily Dot
- Ilja Goossens becomes VP of business development at LoopMe
- Former football player Brady Quinn joins Fox Sports
- Actress Krysten Ritter guesting NBC's 'The Blacklist'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer manager job in Philadelphia
Assistant media planner wanted in New York
Digital media buyer position in Seattle
National DR media buyer job in Nashville
Mobile media planner opening in San Francisco