Al Jazeera America eyeing August launch
June 12, 2013
Current TV will switch to Al Jazeera America in August, months after the surprising sale of the Al Gore-co-founded network.
The switch will happen the week of Aug. 24, according to reports out yesterday, and the network has two new shows slated to launch that week, including nightly newsmagazine “America Tonight,” which will air at 9 p.m.
“Real Money” will take the nightly 7 p.m. slot. The channel will also launch a morning program without the usual fluff of such shows.
The channel has yet to name a president as the launch nears.
Meanwhile, in other programming, “Oprah’s Master Class” will feature Berry Gordy and Diahann Carroll in back-to-back episodes airing Sunday at 9 and 10 p.m. on the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Lifetime’s “Supermarket Superstar,” hosted by Stacy Keibler, will launch July 22 at 10 p.m.
National Geographic Channel’s “Battleground Afghanistan,” which shows the war through American Marines’ eyes, will bow July 1 at 9 p.m., followed by “Eyewitness War” at 10 p.m.
WeTV has renewed “Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?” for a fourth season and “Tamar & Vince” for a second season.
And DirecTV has ordered thriller “Rogue,” to debut next year.
Discovery’s new TV Everywhere service
‘Big Bang Theory’ delivers big DVR numbers
‘Bones’ stars sue Fox over profits
Patriots’ first loss a big win on Twitter
Solid numbers for ‘Superstore’ preview
Cyber Monday: What worked and what didn’t
Study: Brand loyalty key on Black Friday
Note to readers: We were hacked
Coming at you, the midseason premieres
Where mobile is failing: Big data
‘Wow, that’s a lotta Christmas trees!’
The big story: Reinventing newspapers
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
- Mary Lee Schneider becomes president and CEO at SG360
- Brittany Resnick becomes head of The Door's social media division
- Michelle Ronan Noteboom joins Amendola Communications
- Suzanne Kaufman and Christine Fontana join DGital Media
- Valerie Cabrera and Melissa Landau join AMC Studios
- Liana Huth becomes VP of programming innovation at Entercom
- Shannon Knoepke becomes market manager at CBS Radio
- Mike Woosley becomes chief operating officer at Lotame
- Rachel Nichols leaving CNN to return to ESPN
- Juanes and Trisha Yearwood join CBS's Frank Sinatra special
- TV news journalist Linda Ellerbee retiring
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner opening in Boston
Assistant media planner job in Torrance, Calif.
Digital media planner opening in Seattle
Paid social media planner wanted in McLean, Virginia
Assistant OOH strategist position in New York