Al Gore sued over Current TV sale
March 7, 2013
Al Gore has admitted that he wasn’t immediately on board with the idea of selling his cable TV network, Current, to Al Jazeera in a deal that ultimately came to be worth $500 million.
But did he cut out the man who claims he came up with the sale idea?
That’s the contention of a lawsuit filed against Gore Tuesday in San Francisco Superior Court.
John Terenzio, a media consultant and TV producer, claims to have come up with the idea for distributing an American Al Jazeera. He says he identified Current TV as a potential avenue for Al Jazeera and went so far as to present a proposal for the deal to one of Current’s board members, who said he would send it on to Gore.
Gore, the court documents state, was initially against the idea but had a change of heart and ultimately agreed to the sale.
Terenzio is suing for breach of implied agreement, unjust enrichment and quantum meruit. He is seeking $5 million for each alleged violation.
Katie Couric signs off from syndication
IAB: Programmatic growing slower abroad
Lawsuit: Facebook responsible for ruined reps
Great art everywhere you look around
Cable’s winners and losers in July
Netflix reaches streaming deal with AT&T
The big problem at ‘Big Bang:’ Salaries
A healthy surge for new ‘Food Fighters’
Summer’s top programming moves
Big shakeup in cable news rankings
ABC’s ‘Black-ish:’ A troubled show
‘Sharknado 2: The Second One,’ ouch
Two film directors shooting the breeze
- Harvey Goldhersz and Phil Cowdell rise at GroupM
- José Miranda becomes regional director for analytics at MEC
- Rafi Kugler becomes director of recruiting at barrettSF
- Two join and one rises at WorkPlace Media
- Cheri Ehrlich Eisen becomes senior HR director at Fusion
- Lindsay Zoladz becomes pop music critic at New York magazine
- Four join the staff at Good Housekeeping magazine
- Sam Sifton rises to food editor at The New York Times
- Margery Eagan becomes spirituality columnist at Crux
- Five become general managers at Learfield Sports
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer manager job in Philadelphia
Assistant media planner wanted in New York
Digital media buyer position in Seattle
National DR media buyer job in Nashville
Mobile media planner opening in San Francisco