Al Gore sued over Current TV sale
March 7, 2013
Al Gore has admitted that he wasn’t immediately on board with the idea of selling his cable TV network, Current, to Al Jazeera in a deal that ultimately came to be worth $500 million.
But did he cut out the man who claims he came up with the sale idea?
That’s the contention of a lawsuit filed against Gore Tuesday in San Francisco Superior Court.
John Terenzio, a media consultant and TV producer, claims to have come up with the idea for distributing an American Al Jazeera. He says he identified Current TV as a potential avenue for Al Jazeera and went so far as to present a proposal for the deal to one of Current’s board members, who said he would send it on to Gore.
Gore, the court documents state, was initially against the idea but had a change of heart and ultimately agreed to the sale.
Terenzio is suing for breach of implied agreement, unjust enrichment and quantum meruit. He is seeking $5 million for each alleged violation.
‘Big Brother’ lifts CBS to Wednesday win
A media buyer’s guide to the Emmys
Ferguson kicks up cable news ratings
‘BoJack Horseman,’ amusing even so
Tell us, what’s your take on automated buying?
‘The Simpsons’ again, again, and again
Cable overnights: Comedy reruns top Tuesday
Hearst tries a Millennial magazine in NYC
NBC cancels ‘Working the Engels’
Two chances to see ‘Madam Secretary’
FX renews ‘Strain’ for season two
‘America’s Got Talent’ boosts NBC to No. 1
Readers: New faces will win Emmys
- Belle Lenz becomes regional communications director at Dentsu Aegis
- Jeremy Langer becomes VP of programming at Tennis Channel
- Juan Vallejo rises to SVP of ad sales at Fox Hispanic Media
- Mabel Martinez becomes beauty editor at Siempre Mujer
- Robin Green becomes VP of sales at PostUp
- Celia Wu and Tim Faircliff join The 614 Group
- Megan Alexander becomes special correspondent at CBS Newspath
- Boris Izaguirre joins Telemundo's 'Yo Soy el Artista'
- Bear Grylls starring in new Discovery Channel series
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media planner/buyer opening in Detroit
Senior media planner/buyer job in Phoenix
Opening for an associate media director in SF
Media buyer opening in Milwaukee
Manager of media planning job in Dallas