ABC seeking injunction against AutoHop
November 26, 2012
The networks’ war on AutoHop continues with another network attempting to get a preliminary injunction to stop Dish Network from distributing the controversial feature, which allows DVRs to skip over commercials automatically.
ABC, which is owned by Walt Disney, filed a motion in Manhattan federal court saying it plans to seek a preliminary injunction.
Earlier this month a Los Angeles judge rejected a similar motion filed by Fox Broadcasting, a ruling that’s currently being appealed.
Dish is embroiled in court battles on both coasts over the device, which drew huge protests upon its introduction last spring.
The networks say that, because their business models are dependent on advertising, AutoHop could undermine them and put their very futures in question.
They’ve been fighting the feature aggressively, claiming copyright infringement, but Dish maintains it is well within its rights.
Tags: abc, ad skipping, advertising, Asks Manhattan, autohop, broadcast, copyright infringement, dish network, dish network lawsuit, dvrs, Fox Broadcasting, los angeles, Manhattan, viewers, walt disney
NBC wins premiere week, yet again
A promising postseason for MLB
Here it is, big talk on Advertising Week
‘Bad Judge,’ just all around way bad
So, what’s the future for celebrity magazines?
On ‘Minds,’ new face for an aging show
FCC spikes the NFL blackout rule
Cable overnights: ‘MNF’ grows in 18-49s
FX and FXX pick up new comedies
A record gain in L+3 for ABC’s ‘Murder’
New dramas hold up on Monday night
ABC’s ‘Scandal’ premiere sizzles on Twitter
This week’s cable ratings
- Robert Hannan and Mark Mylan rise at Carat USA
- Frances Berwick rises to president of lifestyle networks at NBCU
- Ben Price and Simon Robinson rise at Discovery Communications
- Mari Ghuneim and Daniel Manu join truTV
- Eddie Dalva rises to EVP of content at Viacom Entertainment
- Bennett Fogel rises to EVP and CRO at NCM Media Networks
- Justin Schaflander and Jason Mosher rise at iHeartMedia
- Scott Brady becomes VP of sales and analytics at StartApp
- Bruce Robertson rises to EVP at ITV Studios America
- Kris Van Cleave becomes a correspondent at CBS Newspath
- Claudio 'El Emperador' Suarez becomes an analyst at Fox Deportes
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media buyer job in Los Angeles
Media assistant position in Boise, Idaho
Online media buyer position in San Francisco
Senior media planner/buyer job in Des Moines
Needed: Inside multimedia sales rep in Mass.