ABC seeking injunction against AutoHop
November 26, 2012
The networks’ war on AutoHop continues with another network attempting to get a preliminary injunction to stop Dish Network from distributing the controversial feature, which allows DVRs to skip over commercials automatically.
ABC, which is owned by Walt Disney, filed a motion in Manhattan federal court saying it plans to seek a preliminary injunction.
Earlier this month a Los Angeles judge rejected a similar motion filed by Fox Broadcasting, a ruling that’s currently being appealed.
Dish is embroiled in court battles on both coasts over the device, which drew huge protests upon its introduction last spring.
The networks say that, because their business models are dependent on advertising, AutoHop could undermine them and put their very futures in question.
They’ve been fighting the feature aggressively, claiming copyright infringement, but Dish maintains it is well within its rights.
Tags: abc, ad skipping, advertising, Asks Manhattan, autohop, broadcast, copyright infringement, dish network, dish network lawsuit, dvrs, Fox Broadcasting, los angeles, Manhattan, viewers, walt disney
AFC Championship brings in Hispanic viewers
‘Quantico’ gets a lift in its new Monday slot
This year, a more diverse group of Oscar nominees
NFL playoff games dominate on social media
In age of cord cutting, these cable networks are growing
Voice-first devices: Not quite delivering on the hype
More layoffs at Bergen Record and other Jersey papers
Puzzling out Carlos Slim’s bold U.S. ambitions
Mixed results for the AFC and NFC title games
Coming at you: Media Life’s digital radio series
For PBS, a timely look at the environmental movement
CBS finds its Emmy host: Stephen Colbert
NBC’s ‘The Blacklist’ soars with DVR playback
- Haydn Townsend becomes group CEO at Wunderman
- Samantha DiPippo becomes VP of development at Crown Media
- Lindsay Nelson rises to CMO at Vox Media
- Lea Goldman and Tiffanie Darke become editors in chief at A+E Networks
- Nigel Farage becomes a contributor at Fox News Channel
- Alec Baldwin hosting NBC's 'Saturday Night Live'
- Ray Diaz joins the cast of TV Land's 'Lopez'
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner joins ABC's 'Ten Days in the Valley'
- 'Entertainment Tonight' producer Bonnie Tiegel dies
- Former Village Voice columnist Wayne Barrett dies at 71
- Former journalist William A. Hilliard dies at age 89
This week’s top-rated movies, songs and books
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s digital traffic data: November 2016
This week’s daypart ratings
Opening for a media planner at a top OOH agency
Orlando agency looking for a media planner/buyer
Freelance media planner/buyer available
Junior media planner/buyer position in Minneapolis-St. Paul
Media sales coordinator opening in New York