ABC seeking injunction against AutoHop
November 26, 2012
The networks’ war on AutoHop continues with another network attempting to get a preliminary injunction to stop Dish Network from distributing the controversial feature, which allows DVRs to skip over commercials automatically.
ABC, which is owned by Walt Disney, filed a motion in Manhattan federal court saying it plans to seek a preliminary injunction.
Earlier this month a Los Angeles judge rejected a similar motion filed by Fox Broadcasting, a ruling that’s currently being appealed.
Dish is embroiled in court battles on both coasts over the device, which drew huge protests upon its introduction last spring.
The networks say that, because their business models are dependent on advertising, AutoHop could undermine them and put their very futures in question.
They’ve been fighting the feature aggressively, claiming copyright infringement, but Dish maintains it is well within its rights.
Tags: abc, ad skipping, advertising, Asks Manhattan, autohop, broadcast, copyright infringement, dish network, dish network lawsuit, dvrs, Fox Broadcasting, los angeles, Manhattan, viewers, walt disney
Fox rolls to a July sweeps victory
Who listens to the most radio? Hispanics.
Family viewing isn’t dead. It’s on cable.
‘Mr. Robinson,’ off to an early funeral
Tell us your thoughts on radio
For ‘The Game,’ one final play
OMG: Meet Tiger Beat’s new investors
On the horizon, a DVR for the Xbox
‘Wild’ matches second-best rating
Summer’s DVR winners: ‘Pines’ and ‘Dome’
UFC fight pounds the Twitter competition
Programming blog: Latest pickups and cancellations
Coming, a new way to listen to FM radio
- Jeffrey Gorder, Jane Delworth and Paula Biondich rise at mono
- Jennifer Putnam becomes CCO at Allen & Gerritsen
- Hollie Newton becomes executive creative director at Sunshine
- Katy Loria rises to chief revenue officer at Screenvision
- Marty Sartini Garner rises to senior editor at Flood Magazine
- Tasha Blasi Pannuzzo becomes SVP of marketing at Westwood One
- Oren Liebermann and Matt Rivers join CNN International
- Jenna Dewan-Tatum joins the cast of CBS's 'Supergirl'
- James Cromwell joins HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Falk Hentschel joins CW's 'Legends of Tomorrow'
- Vivica A. Fox and Romeo Miller join TV One holiday movies
- Carla Gugino joins Showtime's upcoming 'Roadies'
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s cable ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Interactive media buyer job in Cedar Falls, Iowa
Junior media planner wanted in Austin
Assistant media planner job in Atlanta
Local marketing specialist wanted in Greensboro
Part-time media buyer job in Lake Bluff, Illinois