ABC seeking injunction against AutoHop
November 26, 2012
The networks’ war on AutoHop continues with another network attempting to get a preliminary injunction to stop Dish Network from distributing the controversial feature, which allows DVRs to skip over commercials automatically.
ABC, which is owned by Walt Disney, filed a motion in Manhattan federal court saying it plans to seek a preliminary injunction.
Earlier this month a Los Angeles judge rejected a similar motion filed by Fox Broadcasting, a ruling that’s currently being appealed.
Dish is embroiled in court battles on both coasts over the device, which drew huge protests upon its introduction last spring.
The networks say that, because their business models are dependent on advertising, AutoHop could undermine them and put their very futures in question.
They’ve been fighting the feature aggressively, claiming copyright infringement, but Dish maintains it is well within its rights.
Tags: abc, ad skipping, advertising, Asks Manhattan, autohop, broadcast, copyright infringement, dish network, dish network lawsuit, dvrs, Fox Broadcasting, los angeles, Manhattan, viewers, walt disney
Solid start for ABC’s ‘American Crime’
Big shakeup at NBC News, as expected
February sweep’s winners and losers
Whoa: The Hispanic population will double
Nearly everyone’s got a smartphone
‘The Returned,’ just why is the question
Tell us, what’s the mood at your agency?
Best tube bets this weekend 3.6.15
President and CEO fizzle out at TheBlaze
Pew: Race influences local news consumption
More changes at the top at Viacom
Hefty fine for a misleading Snuggie ads
Your selfie on a digital billboard, for a cause
- Tim Libby becomes SVP and digital director at Starcom USA
- Cedric Devitt becomes chief creative officer at Big Spaceship
- Tony Zito rises to CEO at Rakuten Marketing
- Nick Maine, Sam Thompson and Ashraf Mohammad join Digital Pulp
- Scott Bailey becomes automotive president at TEN
- Bill Brink rises to media editor at The New York Times
- Cara Rubinsky rises to associate Europe editor at The AP
- John Strong and Alexi Lalas leading FS1's MLS coverage
- Three join the cast of AMC's 'The Night Manager'
- Griffin Gluck joins NBC comedy pilot 'Cuckoo'
- Martha Stewart among Justin Bieber roasters
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Remote media buyer available for all markets
Offline media buyer job in San Francisco
Spot media buyer wanted in Greenville, S.C.
Communications strategist/media planner in Chicago
Digital campaign and analytics manager