ABC seeking injunction against AutoHop
November 26, 2012
The networks’ war on AutoHop continues with another network attempting to get a preliminary injunction to stop Dish Network from distributing the controversial feature, which allows DVRs to skip over commercials automatically.
ABC, which is owned by Walt Disney, filed a motion in Manhattan federal court saying it plans to seek a preliminary injunction.
Earlier this month a Los Angeles judge rejected a similar motion filed by Fox Broadcasting, a ruling that’s currently being appealed.
Dish is embroiled in court battles on both coasts over the device, which drew huge protests upon its introduction last spring.
The networks say that, because their business models are dependent on advertising, AutoHop could undermine them and put their very futures in question.
They’ve been fighting the feature aggressively, claiming copyright infringement, but Dish maintains it is well within its rights.
Tags: abc, ad skipping, advertising, Asks Manhattan, autohop, broadcast, copyright infringement, dish network, dish network lawsuit, dvrs, Fox Broadcasting, los angeles, Manhattan, viewers, walt disney
Two more summer shows get the axe
St. Louis: Picking up after a slow start
‘Married,’ funny, yes. Deep? No.
So, what’s your take on Fox-Time Warner?
For Fox, extra helpings of chef Ramsay
No ‘Jump of the Century’ after all
Cable overnights: ‘Rizzoli’ rises in 18-49s
A college radio fundraiser gone awry
Won’t you help Jon Stewart buy CNN?
Huge management shakeup at Conde Nast
Lukewarm debut for NBC’s ‘Food Fighters’
This summer’s winners and losers
The future for Forbes and other business titles
- Shoshana Winter becomes executive planning director at mcgarrybowen
- Danna Castiglia rises to VP of business development at CBS News
- Tim Pastore becomes programming president at National Geographic Channel
- Bill Cox and Walter Naar join Grit and Escape
- Nick Catucci becomes features editor at Billboard
- Paul Cushman becomes chief revenue officer at Dstillery
- Michelle Fairley joins the cast of ABC's 'Resurrection'
- Shemar Moore returning to CBS's 'Young and the Restless'
- Lucy Lawless joins ABC's 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.'
- Cast of 'Orange is the New Black' guesting on TBS's 'Conan'
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Digital media planner position in Austin
Media planning supervisor job in New York
Digital media planner opening in Chicago
Assistant media buyer job in Iowa City
Media strategist position in Stamford