2012′s biggest Twitter event: The Games
December 13, 2012
In the world according to Twitter, the Summer Olympics were the biggest story of the year.
The London Games generated 150 million tweets over 16 days, according to a year-end report released by the social networking site, with the most-talked-about events the Spice Girls reunion during the closing ceremony (116,000 tweets per minute) and Usain Bolt’s 200-meter dash victory (80,000 TPM).
Other tweet-tastic events included the MTV Music Video Awards in September, which prompted 52 million tweets, and the election, which received more than 31 million mentions on election day in November.
The New York Giants’ Super Bowl victory got 13.7 million mentions, with game-related tweets spiking during the final five minutes as the New England Patriots took the field for the final time.
The other football, soccer, was also hugely popular, with Euro 2012 driving more than 267,000 tweets per minute during Spain’s 4-0 win over Italy in the final.
Superstorm Sandy, the UEFA Champions League semifinal, the Japanese anime film “Summer Wars,” Whitney Houston’s surprise death and the controversial SOPA and PIPA Congressional bills rounded out the year’s top events.
Top trending topics included #nowplaying, #tcot (top conservatives on Twitter), #NFL, “Family Guy,” “Think Like a Man,” Rick Ross, AT&T, IHOP and Syria.
Tags: 2012 twitter, election, family guy, IHOP, Italy, mtv music awards, nfl, olympics, Rick Ross, SOPA, Spice Girls, summer olympics, Summer Wars, super bowl, superstorm sandy, Syria, top twitter events, twitter, twitter 2012, U.S., usain bolt, whitney houston
Summer’s top programming moves
Big shakeup in cable news rankings
ABC’s ‘Black-ish:’ A troubled show
‘Sharknado 2: The Second One,’ ouch
So, what’s the future for print magazines?
Two film directors shooting the breeze
Alas, no comeback for ‘Kirstie’
USA’s ‘WWE Raw’ runs wild on Twitter
ESPN suspends Stephen A. Smith for comments
Cable overnights: ‘Hip Hop’ falls but still leads
AOL teams with Havas for programmatic buying
ABC wins Monday with ‘Bachelorette’ finale
This week’s cable ratings
- Nick Sonderup and Andy Grant join ad agency Translation
- Francis Ma rises to VP of content at Brafton
- Andrew Sriubas and Clive Punter joined CBS Outdoor
- Javier Avitia rises to EVP of legal affairs at CBS Studios
- Rachel Smolkin becomes political executive editor at CNN
- Madeleine Haeringer rises to international news EP at NBC
- Eric Noe becomes editor in chief at TakePart.com
- Derek Thompson becomes chief strategy officer at PlaceIQ
- Tom Butler becomes chief revenue officer at Affectiva
- Mike Colter returning to CBS's 'The Good Wife'
- Lea Michele guesting on FX's 'Sons of Anarchy'
- WEEI host Kirk Minihane suspended over Erin Andrews comments
- National Public Radio’s Margot Adler dies at age 68
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Media buyer manager job in Philadelphia
Assistant media planner wanted in New York
Digital media buyer position in Seattle
National DR media buyer job in Nashville
Mobile media planner opening in San Francisco