2012′s biggest Twitter event: The Games
December 13, 2012
In the world according to Twitter, the Summer Olympics were the biggest story of the year.
The London Games generated 150 million tweets over 16 days, according to a year-end report released by the social networking site, with the most-talked-about events the Spice Girls reunion during the closing ceremony (116,000 tweets per minute) and Usain Bolt’s 200-meter dash victory (80,000 TPM).
Other tweet-tastic events included the MTV Music Video Awards in September, which prompted 52 million tweets, and the election, which received more than 31 million mentions on election day in November.
The New York Giants’ Super Bowl victory got 13.7 million mentions, with game-related tweets spiking during the final five minutes as the New England Patriots took the field for the final time.
The other football, soccer, was also hugely popular, with Euro 2012 driving more than 267,000 tweets per minute during Spain’s 4-0 win over Italy in the final.
Superstorm Sandy, the UEFA Champions League semifinal, the Japanese anime film “Summer Wars,” Whitney Houston’s surprise death and the controversial SOPA and PIPA Congressional bills rounded out the year’s top events.
Top trending topics included #nowplaying, #tcot (top conservatives on Twitter), #NFL, “Family Guy,” “Think Like a Man,” Rick Ross, AT&T, IHOP and Syria.
Tags: 2012 twitter, election, family guy, IHOP, Italy, mtv music awards, nfl, olympics, Rick Ross, SOPA, Spice Girls, summer olympics, Summer Wars, super bowl, superstorm sandy, Syria, top twitter events, twitter, twitter 2012, U.S., usain bolt, whitney houston
NBC’s ‘Sound of Music’ hits a high note
Whoa: No. 1 show in 18-34s is on cable
Twitter takes a shot at retargeting
Media scrambles to cover Mandela’s death
Rethinking media’s compensation model
Want higher ratings? Program holiday music.
‘Bonnie & Clyde,’ shoot-em-up lovers
Rachel, I try so hard. It’s never enough.
‘Modern Family’ gains in syndication
Real-time buying: Media’s next revolution
Netflix scores another awards first
Best tube bets this weekend
NBC Christmas special soars to seven-year high
- Deirdre Finnegan becomes publisher at EatingWell magazine
- Sam Rosen becomes VP of marketing at The Atlantic
- Eric Schurenberg rises to president at Inc. Magazine
- Nicoletta Santoro becomes creative director at Town&Country
- Claudia Foghini rises to SVP of production strategy at Telemundo
- Leslie Scott rises to digital program director at Entercom
- Todd Porch becomes VP and GM at Comcast Wholesale AdDelivery
- Todd Taplin becomes EVP of global sales at Celtra
- Four join branding firm The Sound Research
- Rick Allen becomes lead race announcer at NBC Sports
- 'Early Start' anchor Zoraida Sambolin exiting CNN
- Ana Jurka becomes on-air personality at Deportes Telemundo
This week’s cable ratings
This week’s broadcast ratings
This week’s daypart ratings
This month’s new media traffic data
This week’s top movies, songs and books
This week’s younger viewer ratings
Senior media planner in Midtown Manhattan
Media operations coordinator job in New York
Media planner opening in Brooklyn
Media planner/buyer in Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Media buyer position in Hartford, Conn.